Afghan-born Pakistan cricketer barred from representing AfghanistanMarch 30th, 2009 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, March 30 (IANS) The World Cup hopes of a Pakistani cricketer of Afghan origin have been quashed by the International Cricket Council (ICC), which has ruled that the player cannot represent Afghanistan in the qualifying tournament in South Africa starting April 1.
Rifatullah Mohmand, who came close to selection for Pakistan in 2005, was selected in the Afghanistan team for the World Cup qualifier and the team coach Kabir Khan was hoping that his addition will bolster Afghanistan’s chances in the event.
However, sources said ICC has raised an objection saying that Mohmand is a Pakistani national and cannot represent Afghanistan.
Mohmand, who played 117 first-class matches in Pakistan and was also on a Pakistan A tour of Australia, had chosen to play for his country of birth — Afghanistan.
“His inclusion gives our batting more depth and experience,” Kabir Khan had said in an interview earlier this month.
The disqualification is a major blow for Mohmand, who had resigned from Pakistan’s Habib Bank (HBL) in order to play for Afghanistan. HBL is one of the leading teams on the domestic circuit and is led by Pakistan captain Younis Khan.
It is also a bog jolt for Afghanistan, who are hoping to qualify for the 2011 World Cup. The top four sides from the 12-team tournament in South Africa will play in the 2011 World Cup to be staged jointly by Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
The top six will earn one-day international status until 2013.
- Sachin, Yuvraj, Zaheer selected in Team of the Tournament - Apr 03, 2011
- Panel selects ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 team of the tournament - Apr 03, 2011
- Ireland drop O'Brien as he opts for Bangladesh T20 League - Feb 10, 2012
- Pak team "missing" banned pace bowler Aamir: Ijaz Butt - Mar 30, 2011
- Australian cricket team to play Afghanistan next month - Jul 02, 2012
- Ireland may play 15 ODIs against full-members over five years - Apr 12, 2011
- Tweaking of format robs World Cup of real suspense - Feb 16, 2011
- Kabir Khan to coach UAE cricket team - Oct 03, 2010
- ICC drops associate countries from 2015 World Cup - Apr 05, 2011
- ICC increases participating teams for World Twenty20 - Apr 16, 2012
- Proteas women tour Bangladesh ahead of World T20 - Sep 04, 2012
- Pakistan can't be ruled out of World Cup title contention: Ramiz Raja - Jan 22, 2011
- Four Indians in ICC's ODI team, Dhoni captain - Sep 12, 2011
- PM wishes Dhoni's men for 2011 World Cup - Feb 17, 2011
- ICC reinstates minnows in Cricket World Cup (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
Tags: afghan, afghanistan, april 1, australia, bangladesh, habib bank, hbl, inclusion, international cricket council, jolt, kabir khan, karachi, objection, pakistan captain, pakistan india, south africa, sri lanka, team coach, world cup qualifier, younis khan