AFC chief Hammam retains FIFA executive committee seatMay 9th, 2009 - 1:33 am ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, May 8 (IANS) Asian Football Confederation (AFC) president Mohammed Bin Hammam has retained his FIFA executive committee seat for another four years, defeating Shaikh Salman Ebrahim Al Khalifa of Bahrain 23-21 in a bitter and vitriolic election at the AFC Congress here Friday.
Qatari Hammam’s win came on his 60th birthday and has held the seat since 1996.
All 46 members of the AFC participated in the election but only 44 votes were counted while two declared void.
Hammam, in his victory speech, admitted he was lucky to win since it was a very close election.
Before the start of the congress, Hammam took everyone by surprise when he proposed to remove agenda No. 13 that outlined the relocation of the AFC headquarters from Malaysia to another country.
Hammam said the agenda item was removed after his meeting Thursday with Malaysian Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.
“The prime minister has agreed to look at certain issues regarding the AFC House. I, therefore, proposed to remove agenda Number 13 from today’s meeting,” he explained.
- AFC president Hammam comes calling to seek India vote - Mar 12, 2009
- Zhang Jilong is interim AFC chief after bin Hammam's suspension - May 30, 2011
- Bin Hammam writes to FIFA, claims unfair treatment - Jun 01, 2011
- Velappan appeals to India to unseat AFC president Hammam - Apr 08, 2009
- AFC extends suspension against former president - Aug 20, 2012
- AFC chief Hammam to challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency - Mar 18, 2011
- AFC extends suspension of former president - Aug 19, 2012
- Bin Hammam asks FIA Code and Ethics committee to investigate Blatter - May 27, 2011
- AFC chief Hammam may challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency - Mar 11, 2011
- Bin Hammam drags FIFA president Blatter to ethics committee (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Suspended AFC president Bin Hammam to appeal against FIFA decision - May 30, 2011
- Hammam turns to Arbitration Court after FIFA rejects appeal - Sep 16, 2011
- AFC provisionally suspends Bin Hammam - Jul 17, 2012
- I have an even chance to unseat Blatter, says AFC president - Apr 14, 2011
- Early parliamentary polls likely in Malaysia - Nov 18, 2010
Tags: 60th birthday, afc, agenda item, al khalifa, asian football confederation, bahrain, congress, executive committee, hammam, kuala lumpur, malaysian prime minister, mohammed, number 13, qatari, relocation, salman, surprise, tun razak, victory speech