ADB funds Asia’s sea, rainforest preservation projectMarch 14th, 2008 - 7:34 pm ICT by admin
Manila, March 14 (Xinhua) The Asian Development Bank (ADB) Friday said it would fund a regional project to protect the shrinking seas and rainforests in Southeast Asia. The region is home to the Coral Triangle, which has the highest marine biodiversity in the world, as well as the heart of Borneo, rainforests covering 22 million hectares that are some of the last refuges for orangutans, Asian elephants, and Sumatran rhinos, the regional bank said.
Each year logging, mining and farming destroy millions of hectares of forests. Global warming also had its shares of damage, the ADB said.
The ADB grant, amounting to $1.5 million, will provide funding for the World Wide Fund for Nature to undertake an environmental and socio-economic profile of the region, GIS (geographic information system) mapping and stakeholder consultations.
The grant will also allow the countries to assess policies and institutional capabilities in managing natural resources, address cross-border environmental issues and implement policies through the setting of minimum standards, monitoring and self-regulation.
The programme will then work with the four governments, donors, private sector and NGOs to foster support for the programme and forge partnerships for action.
- ADB aid to developing countries tops $21.7 bn in 2011 - Apr 26, 2012
- Indian palm oil firms make Indonesian eco-disaster: Greenpeace - Jun 19, 2012
- Delegates arrive in Vietnam capital for ADB's 44th annual meeting - May 02, 2011
- ADB loan to improve power distribution in India - Feb 27, 2012
- Palm oil business killing orangutans: French filmmaker - Mar 02, 2011
- Javan rhino is extinct in Vietnam - Oct 25, 2011
- Report: 88 percent of logging in Indonesia is illegal - Jun 23, 2011
- Pakistan no to seeking NOC on dam from India - Aug 14, 2012
- South African game park officials arrested for rhino poaching - Mar 01, 2012
- ADB assistance increased by 42 percent in 2009: Report - Apr 22, 2010
- Asia, Pacific governments warned of increasing climate-induced migrations - Feb 07, 2011
- ADB gives $300 mn loan to Bangladesh - Aug 11, 2011
- ADB to finance roads in northeast - Jul 23, 2011
- $200-mn ADB loan for Madhya Pradesh power projects - Aug 17, 2011
- World Bank helps protect seas, forests in Philippines - Sep 18, 2009
Tags: adb, asian development bank, asian elephants, geographic information system, heart of borneo, institutional capabilities, managing natural resources, marine biodiversity, orangutans, preservation project, rainforest preservation, rainforests, regional bank, regional project, rhinos, self regulation, socio economic profile, southeast asia, sumatran rhinos, xinhua