Ackerman says Caroline Kennedy no more qualified than JLo to be New York SenatorDecember 11th, 2008 - 6:03 pm ICT by ANI
Albany (New York, US), Dec.11 (ANI): A prominent New York Democratic congressman has publicly questioned Caroline Kennedy’’s credentials to replace Hillary Rodham Clinton as the area’’s junior senator, saying she’’s no more qualified to hold office than Hollywood actress Jennifer Lopez.
Representative Gary Ackerman, a 25-year veteran of Congress, declared in a radio interview: “I don”t know what Caroline Kennedy’’s qualifications are. Except that she has name recognition, but so does J.Lo.”
“I wouldn”t make J.Lo the senator unless she proved she had great qualifications, but we haven”t seen them yet,” the New York Post quoted him, as saying.
Ackerman’’s interview was posted on the Web yesterday after being broadcast Monday.
Ackerman is the first prominent New York Democrat to question Kennedy’’s credentials at a time when State Governor David Paterson is considering John F. Kennedy’’s daughter as one of a dozen potential replacements for Clinton, President-elect Barack Obama’’s choice for secretary of state.
Some Democratic activists have publicly questioned the fitness of Kennedy, a lawyer and mother of three who has never sought public office, for the Senate. But no prominent elected Democrat had been willing to take on a member of the powerful Kennedy clan until now.
Ackerman also joked that he had taken himself out of the running for the Senate in a way that appeared to highlight Kennedy’’s lack of statewide experience. He said he wouldn”t want to replace Clinton “because I don”t do Utica, and that’’s a qualification for the job.”
A Marist College poll Tuesday showed that Kennedy, who lives in Manhattan, has her weakest support for a potential Senate race among upstate voters.
Ackerman’’s eyebrow-raising comments came as Paterson signaled his unhappiness with efforts by several prominent people, including members of Kennedy family, to lobby him on behalf of their favored candidates.
“It’’s important for the candidates to focus all of their activities on trying to establish that they are the best candidate, and not on trying to assert any undue influence,” said Paterson.
“It’’s important for me to concentrate only on how the candidates will help New York if they are chosen to serve in the Senate.”
Some members of the Kennedy family - including Robert F. Kennedy Jr., the son of former New York Senator Robert F. Kennedy - have been lobbying for Caroline to get Clinton’’s job. (ANI)
- 20-1 odds against Caroline Kennedy getting Hillary Clintons NY Senate seat - Dec 08, 2008
- Hillarys supporters oppose Caroline Kennedy as her replacement for senate - Dec 15, 2008
- Family will have to convince Caroline Kennedy to bid for Senate seat - Dec 08, 2008
- NY Governor wants time to think about Hillary Clinton''s Senate replacement - Jan 21, 2009
- Guv Paterson puts caution flag on Kennedys Senate seat front-runner tag - Dec 25, 2008
- Democratic favouritism outlines Trump political donation history - Apr 27, 2011
- Caroline Kennedy opts out of New York Senate race - Jan 22, 2009
- Bill Clinton touted as a possible N.Y. Senate ''caretaker'' - Jan 02, 2009
- Kennedys spokesman decries ''mudslinging'' over her Senate bid - Jan 23, 2009
- Caroline Kennedy interested in Hillary Clinton''s Senate seat - Dec 06, 2008
- Caroline Kennedy wants Clinton's Senate seat - Dec 16, 2008
- Gary Ackerman, friend of India, calls it quits - Mar 16, 2012
- Caroline Kennedy hires key Democrat fixer to soothe critics - Dec 16, 2008
- Bill Clinton allegedly told Ted Kennedy: Obama would be getting us coffee - Jan 11, 2010
- Caroline Kennedy does a Sarah Palin, repeats ''you know'' 142 times in interview! - Dec 30, 2008
Tags: actress jennifer lopez, barack obama, caroline kennedy, college poll, david paterson, democratic activists, democratic congressman, gary ackerman, hillary rodham clinton, hollywood actress, junior senator, kennedy clan, kennedy family, marist college, new york post, president elect, senate race, upstate voters, york democrat, york senator