AC Milan in crisis after second straight defeatSeptember 15th, 2008 - 5:08 pm ICT by IANS
Milan, Sep 15 (DPA) AC Milan Sunday suffered a second straight Serie A defeat, slipping 2-0 against minnows Genoa.There were no fruits from Milan’s early pressing as Brazilians Kaka, Ronaldinho and Andryi Shevchenko failed to seriously threaten the hosts’ defence, whose forward Giuseppe Sculli was on target off an assist from Argentinian Diego Milito.
The in-form Milito, who is back at Genoa after three seasons, sealed his side’s win in the dying minutes converting a spot kick after being floored by veteran Paolo Maldini.
“It’s going badly. Looking at the standings we cannot be happy,” said Milan’s helmsman Carlo Ancelotti. “But we have time to put things in order. Certainly, our form is not brilliant. We have had little time to work together (due to several players called up by their national teams) and this created some difficulties.”
“Our showing, beside the result, was very good,” Genoa coach Gianpiero Gasperini said. “It was one of those games you hope to play against such a great team and it was great to do it.
A pulsating game despite the soggy pitch of Naples delighted the fans of Napoli, who watched their side rally from one down to beat Fiorentina 2-1.
Adrian Mutu hit the bar with a free kick before putting the Florence guests ahead on 40 minutes off a feed from Alberto Gilardino.
Napoli’s Ezequiel Lavezzi also hit the bar from close range and set up Marek Hamsik for an easy winning flick before Christian Maggio’s header completed the reversal on 70 minutes.
Lazio and Bergamo side Atalanta lead the standings on six points after respective wins by 2-0 over Sampdoria and by 1-0 at Bologna.
The Rome side seem to have found a new hero in Argentina’s Mauro Zarate, a new arrival who opened Lazio’s scoring with a delicious drive, adding one more goal to the brace he notched at Cagliari in the season opener.
Siena won 2-0 against Cagliari, Reggina and Torino drew 1-1 and Lecce beat Chievo 2-0 in a promoted-sides tie.
Juventus and Udinese close the Serie A weekend with a late game, while champions Inter Milan Saturday were one man down as they beat Catania 2-1 thanks to two own goals and Palermo came from behind to stun 3-1 powerhouse Roma.
- Lazio beat 10-man Rome in Serie A derby - Mar 05, 2012
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Inter held by Atalanta at home - Mar 19, 2012
- Inter Milan held to draw by gritty Napoli - Feb 15, 2010
- Inter beat AC Milan in Serie A derby - Jan 16, 2012
- Nine men enough for Inter Milan to dominate city derby - Jan 25, 2010
- Juventus surpass Milan to top Serie A - Apr 08, 2012
- AC Milan back to top with win over Cesena - Feb 20, 2012
- Inter Milan go top through drubbing of Napoli - Sep 24, 2009
- AC Milan still winless in Serie A - Sep 22, 2011
- Milan lose to Lazio while Inter draw with Palermo - Feb 02, 2012
- Inter Milan move seven clear at top of Serie A - Nov 02, 2009
- Napoli beat Novara to keep Champions League hopes alive - Apr 22, 2012
Tags: ac milan, adrian mutu, alberto gilardino, andryi shevchenko, brazilians, carlo ancelotti, close range, diego milito, ezequiel lavezzi, free kick, gasperini, giuseppe sculli, helmsman, mauro zarate, new hero, paolo maldini, reggina, six points, straight defeat, target