AC Milan deny Inter Milan’s scudetto celebrationsMay 5th, 2008 - 1:48 pm ICT by admin
Milan, May 5 (DPA) Inter Milan missed a chance to celebrate their 16th Italian football title when they lost 1-2 against crosstown rivals AC Milan. Beaten by second-half goals from Filippo Inzaghi and Kaka Sunday night, Inter saw their lead over Roma halved to three points as the Rome side won 3-0 at Sampdoria with two games left.
The Milanese derby started off at a slow pace before Milan gradually took control of the game. They missed two first-half chances through Inzaghi, who on 20 minutes burst into the area but aimed at goalkeeper Julio Cesar and later missed an easy diving header.
But the veteran striker was flawless in the 51st, nodding home a cross from Brazilian Kaka for an impressive tally of nine goals in his last five games.
Five minutes later, Kaka slotted past his compatriot custodian after Massimo Ambrosini dispossessed another Brzilian, Douglas Maicon.
A spurt from Hernan Crespo triggered Inter’s fierce reaction as coach Roberto Mancini brought on the young Mario Balotelli for a three-pronged attack.
But Inter only managed to pull one back when Julio Cruz drilled a 76th-minute free kick past Zeljko Kalac.
“In the first half they did certainly better and we created few chances,” Mancini said. “Then they scored two goals and we started to play and could have drawn. We knew it was going to be a hard game and any result was possible.”
Milan moved into fourth place, which grants a fourth available Champions League berth, leapfrogging Fiorentina, who lost 2-1 at Cagliari.
“We won and Fiorentina lost,” Kaka said. “Today we did what Inter wanted to do. Now we are close to our goal, which is to secure a Champions League berth.
“Our regret are the many points we lost at home (early in the season), but in the final part of the season we are getting a lot of satisfaction.”
Juventus remained third despite an embarrassing 1-0 defeat at Siena, a Tuscany side now certain of avoiding relegation, while Palermo beat Lazio 2-1 in a mid-table clash and lowly Torino won 2-1 over Napoli.
Reggina came off the danger zone leapfrogging Catania through a 2-1 win, Empoli are second last as Udinese beat them 1-0 and Parma remain in the three-team drop zone despite winning 1-0 at Genoa. Livorno lie at the bottom as Atalanta beat them 3-2.
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Lazio beat 10-man Rome in Serie A derby - Mar 05, 2012
- Inter Milan widen lead through win over Cagliari - Feb 08, 2010
- Inter win, Klose salvages Lazio in Serie A - Dec 11, 2011
- Inter beat AC Milan in Serie A derby - Jan 16, 2012
- Juventus surpass Milan to top Serie A - Apr 08, 2012
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Juventus ahead in Italian league title race - Apr 23, 2012
- Inter Milan lose to Bologna - Feb 18, 2012
- Inzaghi sinks minnows Torino in Serie A - Apr 20, 2009
- Udinese beat AC Milan; Inter Milan secure title - May 17, 2009
- Milan lose to Lazio while Inter draw with Palermo - Feb 02, 2012
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
- Inter Milan go top through drubbing of Napoli - Sep 24, 2009
- Juventus kick-off season with win - Aug 26, 2012
Tags: ac milan, compatriot, crosstown rivals, filippo inzaghi, fiorentina, five games, football title, free kick, impressive tally, inter milan, italian football, julio cesar, julio cruz, kaka, kalac, pronged attack, relegation, scudetto, slow pace, veteran striker