Abu Dhabi’s first satellite to blast off March-endMarch 12th, 2011 - 12:48 am ICT by IANS
Abu Dhabi, March 11 (IANS/WAM) UAE’s first satellite - Y1A - which is aimed to serve military, civilian and commercial purposes of the country, will blast off from France March 30 at 1 a.m.
It is built by YahSat, the Abu Dhabi-based satellite communications company.
According to the chief executive officer of the YahSat company, Mohammed Al Za’abi, the second of the two hybrid satellites to be sent to the orbit by the company will be launched by the end of current year.
Al Yahsat Satellite Communications Company, YahSat, which is a part of Mubadala Development Company, an investment arm of the Abu Dhabi government, announced its plans in year 2010 to launch two hybrid satellites designed to provide communication facilities to commercial and governmental users.
The satellite communications programme that could cost $1.6 billion is placed to open new avenues of business opportunities in the country.
The satellite will serve military networks, rural communications, border control services and emergencies and disaster relief agencies.
It will cover a population that crosses one billion in 46 countries in Middle East, Africa, Europe and West Asia.
- UAE launches satellite from French Guiana - Apr 23, 2011
- UAE's first satellite launch postponed - Mar 31, 2011
- Woman wins contest to attend UAE satellite launch - Mar 29, 2011
- UAE launches e-visa system for visitors in Argentina - May 24, 2012
- Abu Dhabi to host Global Aerospace Summit 2012 - Feb 23, 2012
- Accident mortality rate in UAE drops 21 percent - Jul 10, 2010
- UAE delivers aid for Libyan schools - Sep 02, 2012
- 2,600 motorcyclists booked in Abu Dhabi in 2010 - Jan 07, 2011
- UAE, Lithuania to tighten economic ties - May 08, 2012
- UAE records fall in roads accidents after massive crackdown (Lead) - Jul 10, 2010
- Greater Flamingo breeds at Al Wathba Wetland Reserve - Aug 14, 2012
- UAE, Indonesia hold talks - May 16, 2012
- 457 illegal residents held in UAE - Aug 01, 2012
- UAE leaders greet President Mukherjee on Independence Day - Aug 16, 2012
- Air expo opens in Abu Dhabi - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: abu dhabi, africa europe, border control, chief executive officer, communication facilities, communications company, countries in middle east, disaster relief agencies, east africa, france march, governmental users, investment arm, military networks, new avenues, one billion, rural communications, satellite communications, wam uae, west asia, yahsat company