About 30 Somali refugees drown near YemenApril 7th, 2009 - 6:24 pm ICT by IANS
Geneva, April 7 (DPA) Eight people drowned and 22 others were missing
and presumed dead, after two boats heading from Somalia to Yemen encountered troubles at sea over the weekend, the UN said Tuesday.
One boat carrying 40 Somalis capsized and only 20 passengers made it to shore in Yemen, the UN quoted survivors as saying. In the second boat with 23 people, eight drowned and two went missing, presumed dead.
“Those who make the crossing are fleeing desperate a situation of civil war, political instability, poverty and famine in Somalia and the Horn of Africa,” William Spindler, a spokesman for UN refugee agency UNHCR, said in Geneva.
The fate of the human smugglers was unclear.
The UNHCR said 339 boats and 17,035 people arrived in Yemen from the Horn of Africa via this dangerous sea route this year and 74 died while another 51 have gone missing. Last year, 50,000 people were smuggled into Yemen by sea and 949 died making the trip.
- 150 killed in Mediterranean boat capsize: UN - Jun 04, 2011
- 54 Africans died at sea during voyage to Italy - Jul 11, 2012
- 45 migrants die in boat accident off Yemen - Mar 01, 2009
- India pledges $8 mn to famine-stricken Horn of Africa - Sep 14, 2011
- Somalia's food aid stolen, UN launches investigation - Aug 16, 2011
- Italy to send emergency aid to Horn of Africa - Aug 19, 2011
- UN chief briefs UAE on Somalia crisis - Jul 29, 2011
- Nearly 200 drown as boat catches fire off Sudan - Jul 06, 2011
- UN declares famine in two southern regions of Somalia - Jul 20, 2011
- French Navy rescues 100 migrants in Gulf of Aden - Mar 21, 2009
- Nine dead after pleasure boat sinks in Moscow - Aug 01, 2011
- UN committed to end suffering in Horn of Africa - Aug 26, 2011
- Hundreds missing after boats capsize off Yemeni coast - Jan 19, 2009
- UN deplores killing of Somali refugee leader at Kenya camp - Jan 01, 2012
- Boat with 200 asylum seekers capsizes off Australia - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: civil war, famine in somalia, fate, geneva, horn of africa, human smugglers, political instability, poverty, refugee agency, sea route, somali refugees, somalis, spokesman, survivors, two boats, unhcr