Abbey’s web sensational cartwheeling verger rebuked by clericsMay 1st, 2011 - 12:46 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 1 (ANI): The Westminster Abbey senior staff has warned the verger who became an internet sensation after cart wheeling down the red carpet following the royal wedding not to speak publicly about the incident.
Sources at the Abbey said the man, who is unlikely to face any formal disciplinary action, was feeling “fairly chastened” after his impromptu display of acrobatics was caught on film.
While the Abbey has refused to identify him, sources have disclosed he is Ben Sheward, who lives in South London.
Sheward waited until some 1,900 guests had left the Abbey before seizing his chance to cartwheel down the red carpet that William and Kate had just walked along for the first time as a married couple.
In the clip, the black-cassocked verger is shown strolling down the carpet.
ITV cameras caught his antics, which were beamed to millions of viewers around the world, ensuring the unsuspecting verger became an international celebrity.
The clip had already attracted 100,000 Internet hits on Saturday, and comments on various websites had come from as far a field as the United States and Australia.
“The verger, like all of us, was very pleased the service had gone according to plan, and was expressing his exuberance,” the Daily Mail quoted a Westminster Abbey spokesman as saying.
He emphasized that the incident occurred some time after the wedding had finished.
But Abbey officials were keen to prevent the story spreading further.
“We are just trying to keep a lid on this one. The verger has been spoken to a number of times and has been advised how to handle the situation,” said an official.
However, he denied that the man was in hiding, saying the Abbey had not resorted to such extreme measures. (ANI)
- Sarah Burton is the dress designer for Kate Middleton - Apr 29, 2011
- David Cameron, wife to host royal wedding street party - Mar 28, 2011
- William weds Kate (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Fairytale wedding for Will-Kat - world hopes happily ever after - Apr 29, 2011
- Royal wedding video goes viral - Apr 18, 2011
- Google to provide bird's eye view of the Royal wedding route in 3D! - Mar 12, 2011
- Pippa Middleton's dress steals the show at the Royal wedding - Apr 30, 2011
- 20-foot trees to adorn aisle for Will-Kate wedding - Apr 27, 2011
- Kate Middleton's wedding dress 'will be modest' - Feb 08, 2011
- Prince William and Kate Middleton announce April wedding - Nov 24, 2010
- Wills-Kate 'visit Abbey to see rehearsal of wedding music' - Mar 08, 2011
- All set for Will-Kat wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- Spots to watch William wedding procession on hire - Mar 28, 2011
- White House congratulates royal couple on their wedding - Apr 30, 2011
- 'With so much love in your hearts' - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: according to plan, acrobatics, antics, clerics, daily mail, disciplinary action, extreme measures, exuberance, international celebrity, internet hits, internet sensation, married couple, may 1, red carpet, royal wedding, south london, spokesman, verger, westminster abbey, william and kate