Abbas not to hold bilateral talks with IranAugust 31st, 2012 - 12:16 am ICT by IANS
Ramallah, Aug 30 (IANS) Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas will not hold bilateral talks with Iran during his stay in Tehran, a Palestinian official said Thursday.
Abbas arrived in Iran Wednesday for the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) summit, said Majdi Al Khalidi, his diplomatic adviser, reported Xinhua.
The Palestinian delegation to the summit will work on seeking confirmation that the Palestine Liberation Organization is the “sole legitimate representative of the Palestinian people,” Al Khalidi said, adding that they will also seek support for Palestinians’ bid for UN membership.
The relation between the Palestinian National Authority and Iran is tense, as the Iranian government supports the rival Palestinian Hamas government, which took over the Gaza Strip in 2007.
Earlier this week, Abbas threatened to boycott the summit after Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh announced that he was also invited by Iran to attend the NAM.
Tehran later said only Abbas was invited to attend the summit from Palestine.
- Hamas leader to attend NAM summit in Iran - Aug 25, 2012
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- India objects to cancellation of NAM meet on Palestine - Aug 06, 2012
- Amid sanctions pressure, Iran to pitch for expanded India ties - May 30, 2012
- Hamas PM reshuffles cabinet - Sep 03, 2012
- Amid Western pressure, India, Iran seek closer economic ties (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- NAM to put economic role on agenda in Tehran summit: Official - Aug 25, 2012
- PM leaves for Tehran - Aug 28, 2012
- Hamas announces the formation of new Gaza government - Mar 11, 2011
- Unilateral sanctions shouldn't impact legitimate trade with Iran: India (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Abbas slams Hamas for delaying reconciliation pact - Oct 12, 2009
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Manmohan Singh arrives in Tehran - Aug 28, 2012
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
Tags: bilateral talks, gaza strip, iranian government, ismail haniyeh, mahmoud abbas, majdi, nam summit, palestine liberation organization, palestinian delegation, palestinian hamas, palestinian national authority, palestinian official, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, president mahmoud abbas, prime minister ismail, prime minister ismail haniyeh, ramallah, talks with iran, xinhua