A million kids worldwide addicted to FacebookNovember 4th, 2011 - 12:17 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 4 (IANS) Nearly one million children across the world aged 7-12 have become addicted to social networking website Facebook and log in at least once a day, says a survey.
Around 970,000 children are regulars on the site, and have made it an integral part of their daily lives, The Sun newspaper reported.
At least 46 percent say they use the site occasionally.
The report by analysts Mintel shows everyday usage of Facebook is most common among girls aged 10 to 12 — with 54 percent of them logging in.
The next most popular social networks are Twitter and Club Penguin, but the frequency of visits is much lower, with less than 10 percent of children using them.
Experts say peer pressure is the “key motivation” for using a particular social network.
Nearly two-thirds of seven to 12-year-olds use a social networking website because their friends do.
“Today’s children are well versed in all aspects of the internet, with almost a million children aged seven to 12 using Facebook — highlighting just how popular the site has become,” Ina Mitskavets, author of the “Children’s Lifestyles” report from Mintel, was quoted as saying.
The research also revealed children spend approximately three hours and five minutes a day — both on school days and weekends — watching TV.
- 50pc of Brit women over 55 log on to Facebook - Oct 18, 2010
- Social media bores Britons - Mar 06, 2012
- More than 40pc of Aussies spend 41.5mn hrs surfing the web - Nov 12, 2010
- 'More Indian teens using networking sites to communicate' - May 23, 2012
- Coming up, a Facebook-like education website - Aug 07, 2011
- Kids who use excess Facebook get low marks in school - Aug 11, 2011
- Over half of parents spy on kids on Facebook - Jul 21, 2011
- Facebook could be taken to court over alleged tracking - Nov 17, 2011
- Facebook bans 20,000 underage users a day - Mar 22, 2011
- Facebook 'more popular than porn with UK Internet users' - Mar 19, 2011
- Facebook use, less socialising could make people sadder - Jan 18, 2012
- List of social ills blamed on Facebook - Mar 26, 2010
- Facebook generates feel good factor - Jun 27, 2012
- Social networking teens may turn drinks, drugs addicted - Aug 26, 2011
- More than 5 in 10 US adults use Facebook - Mar 26, 2011
Tags: 12 year olds, club penguin, everyday usage, facebook, five minutes, girls, lifestyles, london, motivation, networking website, one million, peer pressure, penguin, regulars, social networking, social networks, sun, twitter, two thirds, watching tv