A million fans greet European champions in BarcelonaMay 29th, 2009 - 1:51 pm ICT by IANS
Barcelona, May 29 (DPA) One million euphoric fans cheered the Barcelona squad - the winner of a historic treble this season - in a triumphant parade through the streets of the Catalan city.
The club’s red-and-blue flag fluttered from the plane that Thursday flew the footballers back from Rome, where they beat Manchester United 2-0 Wednesday in the Champions League final.
Coach Josep Guardiola and captain Carles Puyol were the first to leave the aircraft, carrying the trophy.
Club President Joan Laporta followed and proceeded to pop a huge bottle of champagne, which all the players used to soak themselves as they launched into the celebration of an historic treble, with recent titles in La Liga and the King’s Cup capped by the Champions League.
Riding in open-topped buses, the players toured Barcelona’s main streets - festooned with Barca’s colours - for about four hours before entering the Camp Nou stadium, which was packed with 100,000 fans.
The front of the buses said “Tri-champions” for the first Spanish club - and only the fifth ever in Europe - to achieve the treble.
Daniel Alves, Gerard Pique, Victor Valdes, Thierry Henry and Carles Puyol were among the players who seemed to enjoy the ride most. Guardiola and midfielder Andres Iniesta kept their usual low profiles.
The gates to the Camp Nou opened two hours before the players arrived to let in a huge crowd of fans. Inside, they were entertained with a show of music and fireworks, as they awaited the squad’s arrival.
Inside the packed Camp Nou all three trophies were displayed for the fans. All of the players made brief speeches, mostly in Catalan, thanking the fans for their support throughout the season.
At 38 one of the youngest coaches ever to win the Champions League, Guardiola said: “You are the best supporters in the world.”
He wound up the party with the traditional cry of “Visca el Barca!”
- Guardiola quits Barca, deputy Tito to take over (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Barcelona kick off Champions League defence against AC Milan - Sep 12, 2011
- Advantage Barca ahead of Copa del Rey return leg - Jan 24, 2012
- Barca qualify for Champions League semifinals - Apr 04, 2012
- Real Madrid need Supercup win to boost morale - Aug 28, 2012
- Barcelona look to bounce back against Osasuna - Sep 16, 2011
- Two tough defences as Barca host Sevilla - Oct 21, 2011
- Barcelona face surprise package in La Liga - Dec 02, 2011
- What next for Guardiola's record-breaking Barcelona? - Dec 20, 2009
- Athletic Bilbao, Barcelona vie in Copa del Rey final - May 24, 2012
- Abidal to stay at Barcelona until 2013 - Jan 17, 2012
- Barcelona take on Zaragoza in crucial La Liga tie - Nov 18, 2011
- Secret of Barca's success is its super star factory - Feb 11, 2011
- We're worthy winners, says Guardiola - Apr 04, 2012
- Guardiola upbeat ahead of 'El Clasico' - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: andres iniesta, blue flag, camp nou stadium, carles puyol, club president, daniel alves, european champions, gerard pique, guardiola, joan laporta, low profiles, main streets, manchester united, midfielder, spanish club, thierry henry, treble, trophy club, victor valdes, visca el barca