A majority of Pakistanis yearn for a peaceful nation: US CongresswomanNovember 14th, 2007 - 3:00 am ICT by admin
Condemning the suicide attack on former Pakistan Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, Lee supported US-Pakistan co-operation to contain extremism through an integrated approach, including socio-economic development.
Lee, who is a member of both the foreign affairs and homeland security committees, called for the international community’s support to ensure peace and stability in the South Asian region and protection of Pakistani people and leaders.
Lee, who is serving her seventh term as a US Representatives, said, “I don’t want the people of Pakistan to be frightened away from their democratic rights — we need to provide jobs, we need to provide better education to boys and girls and healthcare to people.”
“We need to create future opportunities, trade opportunities for the people –we need to find ways to build on democratic principles and values. All of this will lead to a more democratic Pakistan, a more vigorously vibrant Pakistan and an economically stable Pakistan,” the US lawmaker who also represents the 18th Congressional District of Texas, centred in Houston, which is the energy capital of the world, said.
The congresswoman, who plans to visit Pakistan, acknowledged Islamabad’s critical anti-terrorism efforts and the sacrifices its forces have rendered in fighting terrorists along the Afghan border, the daily reported. (ANI)
- 'Successful democracy in Pakistan vital for global peace' - Oct 16, 2010
- Obama administration vows to push for preferential trade programme with Pakistan - Oct 24, 2010
- Focus on ties with India: Republican contender - Sep 30, 2011
- Clinton, Morsi discuss US-Egypt relations - Jul 15, 2012
- Obama, Zardari discuss counter-terrorism efforts, Pak's Blasphemy Law - Jan 15, 2011
- US hopes to patch up with Pakistan - Dec 13, 2011
- Pakistan world view clouded by India threat: US - Apr 03, 2012
- Obama to visit Pakistan only in 2011 - Oct 21, 2010
- Pakistan won't allow compromise on dignity: Khar - Sep 29, 2011
- End anti-Americanism, Clinton tells Pakistan (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Pakistan hosts envoy from China amid tension with army - Dec 24, 2011
- Bonn conference stresses on rebuilding Afghanistan - Dec 05, 2011
- US encourages India-Pakistan talks, rules out mediation - Mar 25, 2010
- Text of president's speech - Aug 14, 2012
- Resumption of talks with India a breakthrough: Pakistan - Feb 12, 2011
Tags: afghan border, benazir bhutto, better education, congressional district, democratic elections, democratic principles, democratic rights, energy capital, extremism, message to the world, pakistan, peace and stability, peaceful nation, south asian region, suicide attack, trade opportunities, us congresswoman, us lawmaker, vigorously, vital asset