Japanese man dies after being rejected by 14 hospitals

February 5th, 2009 - 4:31 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi  

An elderly Japanese man with head injuries after getting struck by a motorcycle , waited in an ambulance as the paramedics phoned 14 hospitals, each refused to treat him.

The man died 90 minutes later at the facility that finally relented and also one of thousands of victims repeatedly turned away in recent years by understaffed and overcrowded hospitals in Japan. According to Mitsuhisa Ikemoto, a fire department official, the paramedics reached the accident spot within minutes after the man on a bicycle collided with a motorcycle in the western city of Itami. Having 14 hospitals turning down to admit the 69-year-old citing a lack of specialists, equipment and staff.

This was the latest incident, among the recent case in Japan in which patients were denied treatment, underscoring health care woes in a rapidly aging society that faces an acute shortage of doctors and a growing number of elderly patients. One of the hospitals agreed to provide care when the paramedics called a second time more than an hour after the accident. But the man, who suffered head and back injuries, died soon afterward of shock from loss of blood.

The death prompted the city to issue a directive ordering paramedics to better coordinate with an emergency call center so patients can find a hospital within 15 minutes. But hospitals cannot be punished for turning away patients if they are full.

Similar problems have occurred frequently in recent years. More than 14,000 emergency patients were rejected at least three times by Japanese hospitals before getting treatment in 2007, the latest government survey showed.

The worst case was of a woman in her 70s with a breathing problem was rejected 49 times in Tokyo.There was also the high-profile death of a pregnant woman in western Nara city in 2006 that prompted the government to establish a panel to look into the hospitals’ practice of refusing care.

In that case, the woman was refused admission by 19 hospitals that said they were full. She died eight days later from a brain hemorrhage after falling unconscious during birth.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |