A factory for fake visas in BangladeshSeptember 23rd, 2011 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 23 (IANS) A raid at a printing unit in Bangladesh has revealed it was producing fake British documents on “an industrial scale”, it was reported here.
The Sun reported that thousands of illegal immigrants could have entered Britain using the bogus papers printed in the “visa factory”.
The printing plant in Sylhet province had been operational for years, believe officials.
Besides 150 counterfeit British visas, stolen passports from four countries, including Britain, were found.
Eight arrests were made after a UK Border Agency officer detected one of the forged visas.
Sleuths say the syndicate was charging up to 2,600 pounds a time, making a neat pile of 640,000 pounds a year.
“The factory was producing fake UK visas on an industrial scale. It involved offices around the country,” a diplomatic source was quoted as saying.
Meanwhile, Reshad Nebin, a senior British High Commission official, was arrested for allegedly demanding bribes from applicants to return their passports with the correct stamps.
The Sun said that an official at the India-based contractors paid to handle Britain’s visa applications - VFS Global - was also understood to have been arrested.
- Britain opens visa application centre in Bangalore - May 21, 2012
- 59 percent of Indian students to Britain fake: Report - Jul 25, 2012
- Post offices to provide visa services - Sep 02, 2011
- Five arrested for fake visa-passport racket (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Schengen visa processor VFS expands operations - Apr 18, 2012
- Indian missions in US outsource passport services - Apr 06, 2012
- Britain makes it tough for Pakistani students - Apr 13, 2012
- VFS to provide Thai visa services in Bangalore - Apr 20, 2012
- Chandigarh Police arrest two for tourist visa fraud - Nov 21, 2011
- South Korea opens visa application centre in New Delhi - Apr 02, 2011
- Former cricketer sent to police custody for immigration racket (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Britain to open deputy high commission in Chandigarh - May 23, 2012
- 18 Indian immigrants arrested in Britain - Aug 11, 2010
- Five arrested for fake visa-passport racket - Feb 17, 2012
- NRI woes on surrendering Indian passports (NRI Watch) - Aug 07, 2011
Tags: bangladesh, bribes, british documents, british high commission, diplomatic source, illegal immigrants, India, london, neat pile, passports, printing plant, printing unit, stamps, sun, syndicate, uk visas, visa applications