A 46-year-old housewife who wants to make boxing historyMay 16th, 2009 - 1:51 pm ICT by ANI
Tokyo, May 16 (ANI): A Japanese housewife, Kazumi Izaki is set to be the world’s oldest champion, if she’s allowed to fight at the age of 46.
According to The Independent, Izaki rises at 5:45 a.m., makes her daughter’s packed lunch, shops, cooks and cleans. After her husband comes home in the evening, she heads for the local boxing ring to spar for a world title shot.If she beats her Mexican opponent Ana Maria Torres, she’ll make history by becoming the oldest boxing title holder on the planet.
The odds are long. At 46, Izaki is 17 years older than her famously tough opponent and fighting not just age but officialdom.
The World Boxing Council (WBC) called off a scheduled bout for the world super flyweight title between the two in February after expressing concerns about Izaki’s ability to withstand a pounding in the ring.
But the 50kg frizzy-haired flyweight calls those fears misplaced.
“It’s natural that they worry about the age difference because it could be dangerous. But I’ve been doing this for years and I’m strong. I’m going to bring home that belt. I’m confident, I’m not afraid,” she says after a punishing two-hour evening workout.
Susumu Hanagata, her trainer, says Izaki, Japan’s oldest professional boxer, was “devastated” by the cancellation, but is training harder than ever. (ANI)
- US model turned boxer Patricia Alcivar 'wants to own world title' - Mar 12, 2011
- Water Ski champ makes her boxing debut - Jul 07, 2010
- Focus is on maintaining my form: Mary Kom - Jul 21, 2012
- 'I'm done with boxing', says Mike Tyson - Oct 28, 2010
- Witter ready for 'Battle of Britain' clash with Amir Khan - Feb 04, 2011
- Haye to practice by hitting out at Klitschko's dummy - Apr 22, 2011
- Tyson admits getting drunk after every fight - Dec 04, 2010
- Nikhat Zareen, a champion in the making (With Images) - May 03, 2011
- Haye wins 'Battle of Britain' in style to retain WBA heavyweight title - Nov 14, 2010
- Tyson asks Haye to fight Klitschko brothers to become best heavyweight boxer - Sep 02, 2010
- World's oldest dog dies ahead of 27 birthday - Dec 08, 2011
- Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. arrested for domestic violence - Sep 10, 2010
- Carl Froch Ruben admits to prolonging a title fight - Feb 20, 2012
- WBC champ Klitschko itching to 'shut Haye's big mouth' - May 31, 2010
- Delhi CWG earns bragging rights for Haroon Khan against Brit boxing selectors - Oct 10, 2010
Tags: 17 years, ana maria torres, boxing ring, boxing title, cancellation, champion, cooks, evening workout, fears, flyweight title, izaki, japanese housewife, lunch, odds, old housewife, opponent, professional boxer, susumu, wbc, world boxing council