94 Taliban insurgents killedJune 21st, 2008 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, June 21 (Xinhua) At least 94 Taliban insurgents have been killed in a major offensive launched by the Afghan troops backed by international security forces in Afghanistan’s restive southern province of Kandahar, officials said Saturday. The operation was launched Wednesday by the Afghan troops backed by the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).
“We have counted 94 bodies in Arghandab district of the province. The militants occupied the area last week and were planning to attack the Kandahar city,” General Shir Mohammad Karimi of the Afghan defence ministry, told reporters.
Majority of the militants killed in the operation were foreigners, he said. However, he did not specify their nationalities.
Last week, hundreds of Taliban insurgents took control of several villages in Arghandab district, some 15 km north-west of Kandahar city. The government troops launched an operation to evict the insurgents from the district.
“The insurgents have been evicted from the district and now a house-to-house search operation is going on,” Karimi said, adding that the operation would be completed Sunday.
Many residents, who had fled their homes after the clashes erupted, have returned home to resume their normal lives, he said.
The Taliban has not made any comment on the casualties so far.
More than 1,500 people have been killed in insurgency related violence in Afghanistan so far this year.
Tags: afghanistan, casualties, clashes, defence ministry, foreigners, government troops, insurgents, international security assistance, international security forces, june 21, kabul, kandahar, militants, mohammad karimi, nato, search operation, shir mohammad, southern province, taliban, xinhua