9,000 displaced in Somalia violenceMay 27th, 2012 - 12:31 am ICT by IANS
Nairobi, May 26 (IANS) At least 9,200 people have been displaced in a fierce battle raging between the coalition forces and the insurgents near the Somali capital, the UN refugee agency said here Saturday.
The fighting erupted in Afgooye, a stronghold of the Al-Shabaab insurgent group, some 30 km from Mogadishu. People have fled to Mogadishu, Lower Shabelle and Lower Juba regions to avoid the fighting, the UNHCR said.
Africa Union peacekeeping mission in Somalia said that its forces and the Somali Army have secured all major roads leading in and out of Afgooye town, Xinhua reported.
- 96,000 displaced in fighting in Somalia: UN - Jun 06, 2009
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- Politicians among 60 dead in Somalia clashes (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- 10 politicians among 42 dead in Somalia clashes (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- At least six dead in car bombing at Somalia airport - Sep 09, 2010
- Drone crashes near Somalia refugee camp - Feb 04, 2012
- Somali insurgents back Al Qaeda, clashes claim 16 lives - Feb 01, 2010
- Kenya seals border with Somalia - Feb 12, 2012
- Over 67,000 displaced in latest Somali violence, says UN - May 27, 2009
- Over 200,000 people displaced in Somalia conflict: UNHCR - Jul 08, 2009
- 23 killed, dozens injured in Somalia fighting - Jun 03, 2010
- 26 die after attack on Somali parliament - May 17, 2010
- 17 killed in Mogadishu fighting - Jun 03, 2011
- Four men admit to Uganda bombings - Aug 13, 2010
- Roadside bomb kills eight in Somalia - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: africa, army, coalition forces, fierce battle, insurgent group, insurgents, mogadishu, nairobi, peacekeeping mission, refugee agency, shabelle, somali capital, somalia, stronghold, unhcr, violence, xinhua