90-year-old Oz woman has wrong leg amputated by docsOctober 13th, 2010 - 5:02 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 13 (ANI): Prosecutors have revealed that a 90-year-old Austrian woman had the wrong leg amputated by doctors.
The operating surgeon and a second doctor, who allegedly made the mistake when planning the operation, have been charged with bodily injury caused by negligence. They are expected to go on trial in November.
The now 91-year-old woman, who suffered from vascular disease, had gone into hospital in the Tyrolean town of Sankt Johann on June 16 to have a leg amputated.
After the procedure however, the doctors realised they had removed the wrong limb, reports the Telegraph.
The Austrian hospital said human error as well as a breakdown in safety measures were to blame for the mistake, and the surgeon who handled the procedure was suspended after 25 years on the job.
The elderly woman finally had the correct limb amputated in a second operation a few days later. (ANI)
- Austrian doctors amputate patient's wrong leg - Jul 03, 2010
- Doctors Perpetrate The Amputation Of Zsa Zsa Gabor’s Right Leg - Jan 15, 2011
- Limb transplant patient dies in Turkey - Feb 28, 2012
- Vietnamese man to be freed soon from his 90-kilo tumor - Jan 05, 2012
- Docs 'want to amputate Zsa Zsa Gabor's second leg' - Mar 04, 2011
- Gabor doesn't know about amputation! - Jan 18, 2011
- Gabor undergoes leg amputation surgery - Jan 15, 2011
- Zsa Zsa Gabor refuses second leg amputation - Mar 05, 2011
- US woman's hands, legs consumed by flesh-eating bacteria - May 20, 2012
- Spanish surgeon performs first transplant of two legs - Jul 12, 2011
- Ailing Zsa Zsa Gabor has her right leg amputated - Jan 15, 2011
- Gabor refuses second leg amputation - Mar 05, 2011
- Indian doctors help Nigerian woman walk again (With Image) - May 09, 2011
- Arunima stable, responding to treatment - Apr 20, 2011
- Injured Arunima's condition now stable, say doctors (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: bodily injury, doctor who, doctors, elderly woman, few days, human error, job, london, mistake, negligence, old woman, operating surgeon, prosecutors, safety measures, sankt johann, telegraph, vascular disease