90-year-old man jailed for killing wife, 89September 10th, 2010 - 1:28 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 10 (IANS) A 90-year-old man in the US has been sentenced to a prison term for brutally slaying his wife, 89. He struck his wife of 68 years about 30 times on the head and arms.
John H. Bunz was sentenced to 17 and a half years’ prison term for his “violent and vicious” killing of his wife Virginia, Buffalo News reported Thursday.
“I’m extremely sorry about what happened,” Bunz told State Supreme Court Justice Russell P. Buscaglia. The judge also ordered five years of “post-release supervision” by the courts.
Bunz, who is a retired chemist technician, pleaded guilty July 14 to a reduced charge of first-degree manslaughter for bludgeoning Virginia March 21, the media report said.
The nonagenarian killed his wife in their flat in the Amberleigh Retirement Community on Maple Road in Amherst.
A relative found Virginia’s body and a wounded Bunz who had apparently attempted to commit suicide.
Prosecutor Paul F. Bonanno referred to “the extremely violent nature” of the attack in which Virginia was hit about 30 times on the head and arms “as she attempted to defend herself”.
David C. Steinhilber, the defence attorney, told the court the apparent murder-suicide was “a horrible, tragic anomaly”.
Steinhilber said the killing “will forever” define Bunz, who was otherwise a good man, husband and father.
- Man sentenced to 6,060 years in prison - Mar 13, 2012
- Mentally unsound son killed father, and now mother - Mar 15, 2012
- Mob Wives' Renee Graziano in prison to visit mobster dad - Jun 18, 2012
- US porn star, lover beat tattoo shop owner to death - May 22, 2012
- Indian jailed in Italy for killing son - Dec 23, 2011
- US police probing murder-suicide by ex-Indian army major - Jun 11, 2012
- Juan-Carlos Cruz Faces Nine Year Prison Sentence For Trying To Murder His Wife - Dec 14, 2010
- Five found shot to death at San Francisco home - Mar 24, 2012
- Mubarak aide gets seven years in prison - May 28, 2012
- Six die in suspected murder-suicide attack in southern Florida - Sep 27, 2010
- Briton serving jail for biting wife, finds new fiancee - Jul 25, 2012
- Australian jailed for killing wife of 50 years - Sep 06, 2010
- Hosni Mubarak facing stroke risk : official - Jun 10, 2012
- CRPF ex-cop sentenced to death for killing seven - Apr 30, 2012
- Groom murders bride, best man and himself at Brazilian wedding - Dec 21, 2010
Tags: anomaly, apparent murder, buffalo news, bunz, chemist, david c, defence attorney, first degree manslaughter, good man, maple road, march 21, murder suicide, nonagenarian, prison term, release supervision, retirement community, state supreme court, supreme court justice, violent nature, wife virginia