90 whales stranded on New Zealand beachJanuary 23rd, 2012 - 3:11 pm ICT by IANS
Wellington, Jan 23 (IANS) A pod of about 90 pilot whales has grounded itself on a beach in New Zealand’s South Island in the latest of a series of whale strandings around the country this month, Xinhua reported Monday.
Conservation officials were hoping the whales could refloat themselves from the area in the Golden Bay during high tide.
However, it was too dangerous to try to help the animals refloat in the dark, manager of the conservation department of the Golden Bay area John Mason told the Fairfax NZ News.
They planned to keep the whales cool during the afternoon and to prevent them getting sunburned, he said.
If the whales remained on the beach overnight, they would try to refloat them at high tide Tuesday at around 11.15 a.m., he said.
The whales were in the same area where 25 cetaceans were stranded earlier this month, 18 of which were refloated.
Four Gray’s beaked whales, two lactating females and two juveniles died after being stranded on the Papamoa beach, on the east coast of the North Island over the weekend.
- Mass whale stranding on New Zealand beach - Nov 15, 2011
- More than 20 beached whales die in New Zealand - Dec 27, 2009
- Over 100 whales die on two New Zealand beaches - Dec 28, 2009
- 24 whales euthanised in New Zealand - Jan 21, 2011
- More than 40 of 74 stranded whales die in New Zealand - Sep 22, 2010
- 107 whales die on New Zealand beach - Feb 22, 2011
- Stranded whale put down in Cornwall - Aug 14, 2012
- Whale found dead 800 metres from shoreline - Sep 29, 2011
- Australians try to save stranded whales (Lead) - Mar 02, 2009
- Joy in Australia as last stranded whale swims free - Mar 04, 2009
- Eleven beached whales refloated in Australia (Lead) - Mar 24, 2009
- 200 whales stranded on Australian beach - Mar 02, 2009
- 15 pilot whales die on New Zealand beach - Jan 24, 2010
- Eighty whales beach in Australia - Mar 23, 2009
- Efforts to tow away grounded ship off Mumbai suspended - Jun 19, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,