9 securitymen, 15 militants killed in Pakistan clashOctober 17th, 2011 - 11:44 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 17 (IANS) At least nine Pakistani security personnel and 15 militants were killed Monday during an armed clash triggered by an attack on a security check post in the country’s northwestern tribal region, media reports said.
Local Urdu TV Geo News quoted security sources as saying that 30 to 35 militants attacked a security check post in Bara area of Khyber Agency, Pakistan’s northwestern tribal region bordering Afghanistan, Xinhua reported.
Militants used automatic weapons along with hand grenades and rockets that killed nine soldiers.
Soon after the attack, the security forces retaliated, leading to the hours-long armed clash in which 15 militants were reportedly killed and some others managed to escape.
No militant group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.
Thousands of Pakistani soldiers were engaged in a major offensive against the Taliban in the northwestern region for the past couple of years. Pakistani officials claimed that at least 5,000 Pakistani security personnel have been killed in attacks by the militants since it joined the war on terror.
Eight militants were killed and one soldier was injured during a clash between militants and security forces on Oct 4, which took place in Dabori area of Orakzai region, a militant insurgent area at Pakistan-Afghan border.
At least five policemen were killed and nine others were injured in a bomb blast in the Tor Ghar area of country’s northwestern province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Oct 1.
- Eight militants killed in Pakistan - Oct 04, 2011
- 34 militants killed in Pakistan - Oct 21, 2011
- Militants ambush Pakistani troops, killing 9 soldiers - Oct 18, 2011
- 18 militants killed in army operation in Pakistan - Aug 30, 2012
- 3 militiamen, over 20 militants killed in Pakistan clashes - Aug 25, 2012
- Seven militants killed in Pakistan's tribal area - Aug 01, 2012
- More blasts in Pakistan, three killed (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Three Pakistani soldiers killed in bomb attack - Oct 20, 2010
- Twin blasts rock Pakistan's tribal area - Jan 29, 2011
- 10 militants among 15 killed in Pakistan clash (Lead) - Sep 18, 2011
- 25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: Army - Aug 27, 2011
- 14 militants killed in Pakistan's tribal region - Jul 19, 2011
- 34 militants killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- 10 soldiers, 40 militants killed in Pakistan clash - Jan 31, 2012
- Three soldiers killed in Pakistan - Feb 26, 2012
Tags: afghan border, automatic weapons, bomb blast, clash, geo news, hand grenades, khyber agency, militant group, militants, northwestern province, northwestern region, pakistani officials, pakistani soldiers, policemen, security check, security forces, security personnel, security sources, war on terror, xinhua