9 coalition troops killed in Afghanistan fightJuly 14th, 2008 - 11:09 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, July 14 (DPA) Nine International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) soldiers were killed and 15 more wounded in fighting in Afghanistan’s eastern Kunar province, officials said Monday. The fighting began Sunday as “a well-organized attack, … a ferocious attack” by insurgents against a combat outpost of the Afghan National Army and the ISAF, said Captain Mike Finney, ISAF spokesman in Afghanistan.
The NATO-led ISAF troops, however, prevented the militants from over-running the outpost, he said, adding that rebel casualties were in the “high double figures.”
ISAF did not reveal the nationalities of its soldiers killed.
Meanwhile, the Islamist extremist Taliban have abducted Afghan Senator Abul Wali in Charkh district of Logar province Sunday, Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid told DPA.
“Abul Wali is with us now, he is fine and healthy, and we will announce our decision about his fate later,” the spokesman said.
Afghan Interior Ministry spokesman Zamarai Bashari confirmed the kidnapping, saying that around 7 a.m. local time Sunday gunmen disarmed Wali’s bodyguards and spirited him away “to an unknown location”.
In other developments, six Afghan guards were killed and two wounded by a roadside bomb while escorting a supply ISAF convoy in the Geresh district of southern Helmand province, officials said.
- Seven militants killed in Afghanstan - Mar 18, 2012
- NATO air strike kills two Afghan soldiers - Dec 08, 2010
- 23 suicide attackers killed, four held in Afghanistan - May 08, 2011
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber kills NATO troops, children near market - May 21, 2012
- Seven Bangladeshis abducted in Afghanistan - Dec 19, 2010
- Bombs kill five foreign troops in Afghanistan - Aug 31, 2010
- Taliban killed in failed bombing, five injured - Dec 02, 2011
- 80 Taliban killed in failed attack on NATO combat post in Afghanistan near Pak border - Oct 31, 2010
- Eight Taliban bombers attack Afghan government buildings - May 05, 2010
- Karzai advisor, lawmaker shot dead in Kabul (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2011
- 18 militants killed in Afghanistan - Sep 18, 2011
- Five bodies found in Afghan province - Aug 02, 2012
- Afghan police kill 17 Taliban militants - Jul 31, 2012
- 487 killed in Afghanistan in past month: Official - Apr 24, 2011
- Seven killed in Afghan clashes against Quran burning - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: abducted, abul, bodyguards, captain mike, coalition troops, ferocious attack, gunmen, helmand province, interior ministry, international security assistance, isaf, kunar province, logar, mike finney, ministry spokesman, national army, nationalities, roadside bomb, taliban spokesman, wali