8yr-old ”Mermaid Girl” born with fused legs survives more than 150 surgeriesDecember 15th, 2008 - 5:05 pm ICT by ANI
London, December 15 (ANI): An eight-year-old girl, born with a rare medical condition that caused her legs to fuse together, has amazed doctors in US after surviving more than 150 surgeries.
Shiloh Pepin was born without many vital organs like bladder, large intestine, rectum, and a large section of kidney.
The Mermaid Girl had not been expected by the experts to endure the Mermaid Syndrome that causes its victims legs to fuse together in the womb.
While the medics continue to be baffled by its cause, they believe the lack of proper organ formation is because the circulatory system does not develop before birth.
Shiloh, from Kennebunkport, Maine, has had several surgeries to reconstruct her organs with her first kidney transplant as early as at the age of two.
Dr Matthew Hand, a kidney specialist at the Barbara Bush Children’’s Hospital, said that there was a probability that the little girls legs could be surgically separated.
Shiloh, however, said that she was not too thrilled with the idea.
“Dr. Matt asked me if I wanted to get my legs separated, and I said no. I said, better just deal with it and stick with the ”no” answer, the Telegraph quoted her as telling ABC News in the US.
Her parents, Leslie and Elmer Pepin, revealed that they were thankful for every single day that they had spent with their brave daughter. (ANI)
- Mermaid Girl: Shiloh The Enthusiast - Jun 22, 2009
- Mermaid Girl Shiloh Pepin Dies - Oct 25, 2009
- Mermaid Girl's Moving Story To Be Shown On TLC - Dec 11, 2009
- British woman to have womb transplanted to daughter - Jun 13, 2011
- Baby's cancer removed while in mother's womb - Jun 23, 2012
- Elmer Geronimo Pratt dies - Jun 04, 2011
- Mumbai's Kokilaben hospital unveils robotic arm for surgeries (Lead) (With Image) - Jun 10, 2012
- Blame constipation for bedwetting woes - Jan 30, 2012
- Deshmukh died of cardiac failure: Doctor - Aug 14, 2012
- Court allows woman to get kidney from relative - May 15, 2012
- Womb transplants possible next year: Expert - Mar 27, 2011
- Complex heart surgery on 26-week premature baby - Oct 18, 2011
- Baby Falak's chances of survival bleak: Doctor - Feb 02, 2012
- Both kidneys damaged -- girl battles law to survive - Jul 20, 2011
- Panel to examine chances of separating conjoined twins - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: abc news, barbara bush, circulatory system, girls legs, kennebunkport maine, kidney specialist, kidney transplant, large intestine, little girls, medics, mermaid girl, mermaid syndrome, organ formation, rare medical condition, rectum, s hospital, shiloh pepin, surgeries, vital organs, womb