8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead)March 11th, 2011 - 2:25 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, March 11 (IANS) A massive earthquake measuring 8.8 on the Richter scale hit Japan and triggered tsunamis as high as 10 metres that slammed coastal areas. There was no immediate estimate of casualties.
The massive earthquake struck off Japan’s north-eastern coast, forcing people to flee out of their homes.
The quake that struck Honshu island at 2.46 p.m. (0546 GMT) was felt in almost all areas in Japan’s Pacific coast, including Tokyo and Osaka. The powerful quake hit 382 km northeast of Tokyo with a depth of 10 km under the seabed.
Numerous people were reported to be injured and black smoke was seen rising from buildings in Tokyo’s Odaiba waterfront area. There was blackout throughout Yamagata Prefecture, Kyodo news agency quoted police as saying.
TV pictures showed wave crashing into the coast and a massive body of water surging through the area that carried away cars.
The quake generated a tsunami as high as 10 metres that hit the coast of Miyagi, DPA quoted officials as saying.
NHK public broadcaster showed footage of many submerged vehicles in Kamaishi, Iwate prefecture, as a 4.20-metre tsunami hit the city’s coast.
The 8.8-magnitude earthquake, one of the biggest in recent times, hit Japan, generating a six-metre tsunami and injuring several people, Xinhua reported.
Japan Meteorological Agency said earlier that the quake was measured at 7.9 magnitude but the US Geological Survey upgraded later said the quake was 8.8 magnitude on the Richter scale.
A nuclear plant on the Pacific coast in Miyagi Prefecture was automatically shut down Friday following the quake.
Tsunami alerts were issued in the Philippines, Taiwan, Guam and Russia as well as islands in the Pacific.
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- Hundreds dead as devastating quake, tsunami hit Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- Japan quake toll rises to 61 - Mar 11, 2011
- 6.5 magnitude quake rocks northeastern Japan, tsunami warning lifted - Mar 28, 2011
- Tsunami warning issued after quake hits Japan (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 10, 2011
- 6.8 magnitude quake jolts Japan (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Strong earthquake shakes northeast Japan, no damage - Mar 27, 2012
- Japan issues tsunami alert after Chile quake - Feb 28, 2010
- Strong quake hits Japan - Mar 27, 2012
- Tsunamis in the past 10 years - Mar 11, 2011
- Fire breaks out at Japan's n-power plant after quake - Mar 11, 2011
- Over 20 aftershocks hit Japan (Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- `This was the huge quake we expected for years' - Mar 11, 2011
- Tsunami damages northern Japan, 10 nations on alert - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan tsunami toll likely to rise over 1,600 - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: honshu island, islands in the pacific, iwate prefecture, japan meteorological agency, kyodo news agency, magnitude earthquake, massive body, massive earthquake, miyagi prefecture, odaiba, powerful quake, public broadcaster, quake hits, quake tsunami, richter scale, s pacific, tokyo march, us geological survey, waterfront area, yamagata prefecture