88 killed in accidents during Eid holiday in YemenDecember 14th, 2008 - 6:12 am ICT by IANS
Sanaa, Dec 14 (DPA) At least 88 people were killed and 582 others injured in traffic accidents in Yemen over the Muslim Eid al-Adha festival, the police said Saturday.The traffic police said in a statement the Arab country’s roads witnessed 360 accidents during the period from Dec 4 to 12.
The figure is nearly double the number of fatalities during the Eid al-Fitr festivities two months ago, when 48 people died in road accidents nationwide.
Excessive speed, recklessness and chewing the mild stimulant drug of qat by drivers, were to blame for those accidents, the statement said.
Traffic accidents claim the lives of around 3,000 people in Yemen every year, according to official figures.
In the first eight months this year, 1,477 people were killed and 9,879 injured in accidents across the country.
In 2007, a total of 2,927 people died and over 15,000 others injured in car accidents.
Some 34,892 people were killed and more than 209,000 injured in road accidents in Yemen during the period from 1990 to 2006, according to figures published by the traffic police.
- Indonesian bus drivers face drug tests for Eid - Aug 14, 2012
- U.S. warns of terrorist attacks in Nigerian capital - Nov 07, 2011
- 'Boko Haram' attacks leave more than 80 people killed in northern Nigeria - Nov 07, 2011
- Afghan MP among 20 killed in attack on funeral - Dec 26, 2011
- Fire-stricken ferry sinks off Jordanian coast - Nov 07, 2011
- Syria releases 1,180 people held during protests - Nov 16, 2011
- Thousands flee after clashes between Nigerian security forces and militants - Dec 29, 2011
- 95 dead in road accidents during Brazil carnival - Mar 07, 2011
- Road accidents claim about 130 lives in Indonesian - Sep 09, 2010
- Highway death toll rises to 229 during Thailand's Songkran festival - Apr 17, 2011
- Nine killed in two road accidents in Ghaziabad - Nov 06, 2011
- Holi claims seven lives on Delhi roads - Mar 09, 2012
- Road accidents spiral in Bihar, kill 1,500 - May 04, 2012
- Suicide bomber kills anti-Taliban lawmaker in Pakistan - Dec 01, 2009
- Nearly 200 dead in Nepal accidents this year - Jul 15, 2012