85-yr-old letter reveals the man who cured King George’s stammerMarch 2nd, 2011 - 2:57 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 2 (ANI): A letter, almost 85 years old, has revealed how King George VI came to meet the man who cured his stammer.
The monarch was treated by unconventional speech therapist Lionel Logue. Now it has emerged that Logue’s address was passed to the Palace by John Murray V, of the publishing dynasty.
Murray told his friend Lord Stamfordham - King George V’s private secretary - how his nephew had been successfully treated for a stammer by Logue.
The letter was found in the John Murray archives at the National Library of Scotland, in Edinburgh.
The letter, dated May 18 1925, shows he thanks Murray for Logue’s address “which I will pass on to the Duke of York’s people”.
The Duke of York became King after his brother Edward VIII abdicated.
“There has always been a lot of speculation about how the introduction between King George VI and Lionel Logue came about, even more so following the success of the film The King’s Speech,” the Daily Express quoted David McClay, senior curator, as saying. (ANI)
- 'King's Speech' filmed at mansion used for 'porn discos', sex parties - Jan 22, 2011
- Colin Firth to play King George VI in new movie - Sep 04, 2009
- 'The King's Speech': A Royal Family Saga With A Difference - Nov 26, 2010
- 'Toy Story 3' wins best animated feature film Oscar - Feb 28, 2011
- Colin Firth 'King's Speech' sweeps the British Independent Film Awards - Dec 06, 2010
- 'The King's Speech' leads Oscar race with 12 nominations - Jan 25, 2011
- I had no books on stammering to help with role: Colin Firth (Interview) - Feb 20, 2011
- Colin Firth honoured with Variety's International Star award - Dec 13, 2010
- "The King's Speech" Reigns At The Producers Guild Of America Awards - Jan 24, 2011
- Dubai fest expeccted 'The King's Speech' Golden Globe citing - Dec 15, 2010
- 'The King's Speech' opens Dubai film fest, Firth feels honoured - Dec 13, 2010
- 'The King's Speech' wins top honour at Toronto festival - Sep 21, 2010
- Colin Firth And Natalie Portman Won The 2011 Screen Actors’ Guild Awards (SAG) - Jan 31, 2011
- 'The King's Speech' rules at Golden Globe nominations (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- The King’s Speech: King George VI Retains The Dominance At The Golden Globe Nomination - Dec 16, 2010
Tags: brother edward, curator, daily express, david mcclay, duke of york, dynasty, edinburgh, edward viii, george v, john murray, king george vi, lionel, london, monarch, national library of scotland, nephew, private secretary, speculation, stammer