85 protesters arrested in USOctober 26th, 2011 - 4:34 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 26 (IANS) Police in Oakland city in the US swept through a protesters’ camp Tuesday, and arrested 85 people for unlawful assembly and illegal lodging.
Oakland is a West Coast city on the San Francisco Bay in the state of California.
Several hundred police officers in riot helmets began making arrests shortly before 5 a.m. They removed tents set up outside the City Hall, and arrested the protesters, Xinhua reported citing the San Francisco Chronicle.
Officials said they cleared the camp because of sanitary and public safety concerns.
Officers also fired non-lethal projectiles from shotguns at protesters who threw bottles, cans and other objects, said local authorities. No injuries were reported.
- 70 protestors arrested in 'Occupy San Francisco' raid - Dec 07, 2011
- Evicted occupiers return to NYK park; 100 arrested - Nov 16, 2011
- Oakland mayor tired of 'Occupy Oakland' protestors - Jan 30, 2012
- 'Occupy LA' protestors defy order to evacuate by Sunday midnight - Nov 28, 2011
- Shuttlecock shooters to control crowds in Russia - Jun 07, 2012
- At least 22 arrested in violent clashes between LAPD and protesters - Sep 08, 2010
- Occupy Oakland protestors find a new camp for their campaign - Nov 23, 2011
- More Than 100 Arrested In Oakland Riots - Nov 06, 2010
- Oakland Resident Recalls Riot Scene - Nov 07, 2010
- Police arrest several 'Occupy LA' protestors - Nov 28, 2011
- White House accused of 'hypocrisy' after banning reporter - May 01, 2011
- Occupy activists arrested in several US cities - Nov 14, 2011
- 2500 German police evict tenants from Berlin's squat - Feb 02, 2011
- Defying ban, 'occupy' protesters stay put in Washington - Jan 31, 2012
- Riots Spark Off In Oakland After Mehserle Verdict - Jul 09, 2010
Tags: cans, city hall, lethal projectiles, local authorities, oakland city, police officers, protesters, public safety concerns, riot helmets, san francisco bay, san francisco chronicle, shotguns, state of california, tents, unlawful assembly, west coast city, xinhua