85 prisoners escape from Mexico jailSeptember 11th, 2010 - 10:49 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Sep 11 (IANS/EFE) Eighty-five prisoners escaped from a jail in Mexico’s Tamaulipas state, authorities said.
The largest prison break in the state took place Friday in the city of Reynosa, bordering Texas in the US. The inmates fled from the prison using a ladder, apparently with the collusion of two guards, state secretary-general Hugo Andres Araujo said.
Army troops have joined various law enforcement agencies in the search for the escapees.
Public safety chief Antonio Garza Garcia said 201 inmates have escaped from Tamaulipas jails so far this year.
Until now, the largest single incident was the March 25 flight of 40 prisoners from a prison in Matamoros city.
Tamaulipas has been battered this year by a turf war between Gulf drug cartel and the rival Los Zetas outfit, leaving hundreds dead. These criminal organisations are thought to be involved in the mass jailbreaks.
- Report: 71 inmates escape in mass jail break in Mexico's drug-plagued north - Sep 11, 2010
- 17 escape from prison in Mexican border city - May 26, 2011
- 20 die in Mexico prison fight - Oct 16, 2011
- Mexico ships 273 inmates to island prison - Oct 24, 2011
- 150 inmates escape from Mexico prison - Dec 19, 2010
- 41 Mexican guards to go on trial for jailbreak - Dec 29, 2010
- 29 prison personnel held over Mexico massacre - Feb 24, 2012
- Cartel threats force people to flee cities in Mexico - Nov 23, 2010
- Over 200 kidnap victims killed in Mexico in 2010 - Feb 04, 2011
- 41 guards arrested over Mexico prison escape - Dec 22, 2010
- 44 die in fight at Mexican prison (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Four shot dead in Mexican bar's parking lot - Mar 09, 2011
- Two tonnes of marijuana found in Mexican cemetery - Jul 30, 2012
- Mexico plans to build eight prisons - Feb 23, 2012
- 31 killed in Mexico prison fight - Jan 06, 2012
Tags: antonio garza, araujo, army troops, collusion, criminal organisations, drug cartel, escapees, garza garcia, inmates, jails, law enforcement agencies, los zetas, matamoros, mexico city, prison break, safety chief, state authorities, state secretary, tamaulipas state, turf war