81,000 litres of illicit liquor destroyed in NepalJune 20th, 2012 - 2:49 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, June 20 (IANS) Around 81,000 litres of illicit liquor have been seized and destroyed in the Nepali capital in the past three years, police records show.
However, despite attempts by police to discourage production and consumption of hooch, the business of home-made liquor has been flourishing in the Kathmandu Valley, Xinhua reported citing local media.
Police said 81,000 liters of liquor have been seized and destroyed in the past three years. This year alone, 39,000 litres of hooch have been destroyed — more than the quantity in 2011 (26,500 liters) and 2010 (16,000 liters).
At least 55 people have been arrested in the last three years, including 23 in 2012, for these offences.
Police spokesman Dhiraj Pratap Singh told the Kathmandu Post daily the rise in prices of distilled alcohol was the main reason behind increase in consumption of hooch.
- Hooch kills 12 in Punjab, two held (Third Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- A tale of drinks and drugs as Punjab votes - Jan 29, 2012
- Major hooch tragedies in India - Dec 15, 2011
- Holi haul! 2,000 held with illicit liquor, drugs - Mar 02, 2010
- Rs 33.66 crore, 697,000 liquor bottles seized - Jan 29, 2012
- 2 arrested for making illicit liquor in Delhi - Oct 11, 2009
- Hooch kills 17 in Andhra (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- 580 knives seized in Costa Rican prison - Jul 01, 2011
- Rs.120 mn cash, illicit liquor seized in poll-bound Punjab - Dec 31, 2011
- 10 tonnes of hashish seized in Karachi - Nov 16, 2011
- 24 die after drinking hooch in Honduras - Jul 11, 2012
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 171, official suspended (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- 13 held for hooch tragedy in Bihar - Feb 20, 2011
- Hooch sellers to be helped into alternate trade: Mamata - Dec 23, 2011
- Supplier of Ahmedabad killer brew arrested - Jul 17, 2009