80 Taliban militants killed in AfghanistanNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:59 am ICT by admin
“The combined patrol immediately returned fire, manoeuvred, and employed close air support, resulting in death of almost seven dozen Taliban militants,” it said in a statement.
The attackers fled after the clash in the town of Musa Qala, said the statement, which made no reference to any coalition or civilian casualties.
The Afghan commander for Helmand told a foreign news agency that only the Taliban had sustained casualties.
“Our initial assessment is that over 73 Taliban were killed in the direct fire and air bombing,” The News quoted an Afghan General Mohaidin Ghori, as saying.
“The attacks took place at different hours of the day in different locations. There have been no casualties to civilians and our forces.”
He said forces patrolling the outskirts of Musa Qala, which has been held by the Taliban since February, came under attack in four different places, adding: “The forces repelled the attacks and called in air support.”
Separately, a joint Afghan and international patrol in the neighbouring province of Kandahar on Saturday killed several Taliban, the coalition said.
This time, “the Afghan National Security forces spotted the enemies before they could carry out their attack,” said coalition spokesman Chris Belcher.
“The patrol immediately engaged the Taliban element, killing several enemy fighters before they fled the area,” the coalition said. (ANI)
- 22 Taliban, five cops killed in Afghan attack - Jul 08, 2012
- Bloodshed at picnic: 17 Afghan civilians killed by Taliban - Aug 27, 2012
- 11 militants killed in Afghanistan - Mar 06, 2011
- NATO apologizes for airstrike which killed Afghan women, children - May 30, 2011
- 100 militants killed in Afghan operation - Jul 23, 2011
- Seven die in Afghanistan blast - Feb 28, 2012
- 11 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Sep 09, 2012
- 20 Afghan militants killed - May 28, 2012
- Roadside bomb kills 14 civilians in Helmand - Dec 31, 2010
- 18 dead in Afghan suicide bombings - Apr 10, 2012
- Rogue Afghan soldier kills two British troops in southern Afghanistan - Mar 26, 2012
- Two soldiers killed in NATO chopper crash - Jun 06, 2012
- British, Estonian troops killed in southern Afghanistan - Oct 16, 2011
- Suicide bombers attack Kabul shortly after Obama's visit - May 03, 2012
- Afghan Taliban attacks elderly truce talks negotiator - Jan 05, 2011
Tags: afghan commander, chris belcher, civilian casualties, close air support, coalition, direct fire, enemy fighters, foreign news, helmand, initial assessment, kandahar, militants, musa qala, neighbouring province, returned fire, taliban