78 migrants hidden in trailer intercepted in MexicoApril 13th, 2011 - 11:48 am ICT by IANS
San Cristobal de las Casas (Mexico), April 13 (IANS/EFE) Mexican police intercepted 78 Central American migrants who were travelling beneath the false bottom panel of a trailer in the southeastern state of Chiapas, authorities said.
The state government said in a communique that the undocumented immigrants - 62 men, 15 woman and one girl - were discovered at a police checkpoint on a highway near Tuxtla Gutierrez, the capital of Chiapas.
Authorities said that the immigrants - 54 Guatemalans, 17 Salvadorans and 7 Hondurans - were discovered thanks to an X-ray machine set up at checkpoints that allows police to detect people, firearms, drugs and explosives inside vehicles.
The sources also said that the migrants paid $5,000 each “for the trip from Chiapas to the municipality of Ecatepec, where another group of people smugglers were to take them to (northern Mexico)”.
Authorities arrested the two men driving the trailer.
The drivers confessed that in the past they had “made three trips on which they transported from the border with Guatemala to the central part of the country groups of between 30 and 50 undocumented immigrants”, the communique stated.
The migrants were transferred to the state attorney general’s office, where they were given “medical attention, food, psychological and legal assistance, as well as access to a telephone to be able to communicate with their relatives in their countries of origin”.
- 219 migrants rescued from truck in Mexico - Jan 28, 2011
- 89 illegal migrants found in truck - Mar 31, 2011
- 167 human skeletons found in Mexican cave - Mar 11, 2012
- Lightning kills boy, horse in Mexico - Jul 30, 2011
- Over 100 trafficked people rescued in Mexico - Nov 15, 2010
- Honduran woman finds missing son in Mexican jail - Nov 16, 2011
- Over 100 Mexican immigration agency employees sacked - Oct 16, 2011
- Mexico sees adventure tourism as job generator - Oct 19, 2011
- 5,000 migrants detained in Mexico in February - Mar 08, 2011
- Mexicans criticised for removing bones from archaeological site - Mar 15, 2012
- Successful biofuel flight conducted in Mexico - Apr 03, 2011
- Lawmaker arrested in immigration protest at White House - Jul 28, 2011
- 13 bodies found in Mexico mass graves - Apr 09, 2011
- Indian-origin man teaches yoga to Mexican migrants - Oct 01, 2011
- Two drug tunnels found in Mexico - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: bottom panel, checkpoints, country groups, ecatepec, false bottom, hondurans, mexican police, migrants, northern mexico, police checkpoint, ray machine, salvadorans, san cristobal de las casas, san cristobal de las casas mexico, smugglers, southeastern state, state attorney general, tuxtla gutierrez, undocumented immigrants, x ray