75,000 evacuated as Nock-Ten storm hits China (Lead)July 29th, 2011 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 29 (IANS) Over 75,000 people were Friday evacuated from the southern regions of China as tropical storm Nock-Ten hit the coastal areas, officials said.
Nock-Ten hit the southern island province of Hainan Friday afternoon, Xinhua reported.
The tropical storm brought strong winds with speeds of up to 28 metres per second, or over 100 km an hour, along with heavy rains and reduced visibility, the meteorological centre said.
Yang Yunxian, director of the provincial flood control office, said people were evacuated from coastal fish farms, fishing boats, makeshift houses as well as from low-lying region.
Over 26,000 fishing boats have all returned to ports, he said.
Authorities were releasing water from major reservoirs as the water levels rose because of heavy rains.
Downpours brought by the tropical storm have halted all shipping services across the Qiongzhou Strait, which separates Guangdong province from Hainan island, as well as some rail services.
In addition, 173 flights due to depart or arrive at two airports in Hainan were cancelled.
At least 31 people died in the Philippines as a result of the storm.
- China braces for tropical storm Nock-Ten - Jul 29, 2011
- 27,000 evacuated as Nock-Ten storm hits China - Jul 29, 2011
- 190,000 evacuated as storm hits China - Jul 30, 2011
- 25 killed as tropical storm hits Philippines - Jul 27, 2011
- 300,000 evacuated as typhoon lands in south China - Sep 29, 2011
- China braces for typhoon Kai-Tak - Aug 17, 2012
- Typhoon Kai-Tak causes havoc in China (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- 150,000 evacuated in China due to typhoon threat - Oct 21, 2010
- 1.3 mn evacuated as Muifa brushes past China (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Over 100,000 evacuated in China as storm approaches - Aug 08, 2011
- Floods kill 50 in China - Jun 11, 2011
- 16,000 evacuated in China amid flooding fears - Jun 30, 2011
- Over 360,000 people evacuated in east China as storm nears (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- China tightens nuke safety ahead of storms - Jun 23, 2011
- 50 dead, 42 missing in China floods - Jun 30, 2012
Tags: coastal areas, coastal fish, fish farms, fishing boats, flood control, friday afternoon, guangdong province, hainan island, heavy rains, meteorological centre, nock ten, regions of china, reservoirs, shipping services, southern island province, southern regions, strong winds, tropical storm, water levels, xinhua