721 inmates escape in NigeriaSeptember 8th, 2010 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
Lagos, Sep 8 (DPA) Nigerian officials Wednesday said four people were killed as 721 prisoners escaped from a federal prison in Bauchi, northeastern Nigeria, the previous evening.
Danlami Yar’adua, Bauchi state police commissioner, disclosed that a soldier, a policeman and two civilians were killed during the violent prison break, which was believed to have been staged by a militant Islamist group.
Yar’adua said six others, including three prison wardens, are critically ill in hospital.
The prison held 186 members of Islamist sect Boko Haram - the name translates as “Western education is a sin”. The prisoners have been awaiting trial since violent clashes in July 2009.
The group stormed the prison in large numbers and began shooting to gain entry. They moved from cell to cell to free the prisoners before setting fire to a section of the facility.
Boko Haram, founded in 2002 in the northeastern city of Maiduguri by Ustaz Mohammed Yusuf, attacked police stations and private homes in several clashes in Bauchi last year. Over 700 people died in the violence.
Officials said that Bauchi is now calm after the escape.
- Radical Islamist sect claims responsibility for Nigeria church attacks - Dec 29, 2010
- Politician shot dead in Nigeria - May 26, 2012
- 25 killed in Nigeria bomb blasts - Jun 27, 2011
- Two killed, 26 Boko Haram members held in Nigeria - Jul 28, 2012
- Nigerian police kill Islamist leader, face criticism (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 31, 2009
- Two killed in bomb blast in northern Nigeria - May 15, 2011
- Nigerian Islamists flee army onslaught: Report - Jul 30, 2009
- Toll in Nigerian clashes now put at over 600 - Aug 03, 2009
- Thousands flee after clashes between Nigerian security forces and militants - Dec 29, 2011
- Nigerian police lay siege to Islamist base - Jul 29, 2009
- 20 Boko Haram militants killed in Nigeria - Aug 13, 2012
- 'Boko Haram' attacks leave more than 80 people killed in northern Nigeria - Nov 07, 2011
- U.S. warns of terrorist attacks in Nigerian capital - Nov 07, 2011
- Over 50 killed in Nigeria clash - Dec 25, 2011
- 600 killed in Nigeria violence - Jul 31, 2009
Tags: adua, boko, federal prison, inmates, islamist group, maiduguri, mohammed yusuf, nigeria lagos, nigerian officials, northeastern city, northeastern nigeria, police commissioner, police stations, prison break, prison wardens, setting fire, state police, ustaz, violent clashes, western education