7.2 quake hits Chile, no tsunami threat (Lead)March 26th, 2012 - 8:10 am ICT by IANS
New York/Santiago, March 26 (IANS) An undersea quake measuring 7.2 on the Richter scale Sunday struck off the coast of Chile but there was no risk of a tsunami, officials said.
The tremor hit around 6.30 p.m. with the epicentre 10 km under the seabed off the coast of Maule, the US geological survey said.
Chilean authorities have cancelled plans to evacuate residents in low-lying south-central coastal areas after tsunami was ruled out, Xinhua reported.
The National Emergency Bureau said the quake did not have “the conditions needed to generate a tsunami”. It initially had called for evacuation of the coast in the quake zone.
- 7-magnitude quake hits New Zealand - Jul 04, 2012
- Chile quake toll rises to 82 - Feb 28, 2010
- Quake rattles Sumatra, India feels tremors (Third Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Quake hits Japan - Apr 21, 2011
- Indonesia issues tsunami alert after 7.6 quake - Jan 11, 2012
- Tsunami hits Chile after 8.8-magnitude quake, toll 78(Fifth Lead) - Feb 27, 2010
- Quakes rock Japan island (Lead) - Mar 22, 2011
- More than 300 dead in massive Chilean earthquake (Third Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Earthquake Of Magnitude 7.2 Hits Temuco, Chile - Jan 03, 2011
- Japan issues tsunami alter after 6.8-magnitude quake - Aug 19, 2011
- 8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- More than 140 killed in Chile quake (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Powerful quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami - Nov 14, 2011
- Tsunamis in the past 10 years - Mar 11, 2011
- Magnitude-7 quake hits Japan (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012