7.2 Magnitude Earthquake Moved California City By 31 InchesJune 28th, 2010 - 8:14 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
June 28, (THAINDIAN NEWS) NASA radar images show that the powerful earthquake of magnitude 7.2 which struck Baja California in the month of April has actually displaced a city on the US-Mexico border by 31-inches or so. Calexico, a city situated near the US-Mexico border has shifted by two and a half feet after the massive earthquake hit the state in the month of April. The quake was followed by a slew of after shocks that caused major damage to the nation.
The quake called as El Mayor Cucapah earthquake struck the region on the 4th of April this year. The earthquake which has been billed as the strongest quake to hit the region in nearly 120 years shifted the region by 31 inches, shows the NASA radar images. According to reports, two people were killed and several hundreds were injured by the impact of the quake. The earthquake that struck Baja California has caused substantial damage to the state since. Thousands of after shocks were reported soon after.
This is not the first time that an earth quake has displaced a city to an extent. Chile had suffered the safe fate earlier this year when a massive earthquake of magnitude 8.8 hit the nation. It is said that the impact of the powerful quake shifted the city of Concepscion to 3 meters to the West. According to the researchers, powerful earth quakes might also play a pivotal role in shifting the earth’s axis which will result in the change of the planet’s days. The earthquake that hit Chile is said to have lessened the length of a day by 1.26 microseconds, according to the researchers.
- California City Moved 31 Inches South By Major Earthquake! - Jun 28, 2010
- Earthquake moved California City - Calexico by 31 inches - Jun 28, 2010
- Potent Quake In April Moves An Entire Calif City By 31 Inches - Jul 03, 2010
- California City Moved By 31 Inches Due To Earthquake - Jun 28, 2010
- Moderate earthquake rattles U.S.-Mexico border, no damage - Dec 11, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Two strong earthquakes shake Mexican desert in Baja California - Apr 12, 2012
- Japan earthquake moves its coastline by 13 feet - Mar 14, 2011
- Moderate aftershock to April earthquake shakes U.S.-Mexico border - Sep 14, 2010
- One dead, many trapped in 7.2-magnitude Mexico quake - Apr 05, 2010
- Chilean quake was so strong, it shortened days: NASA - Mar 03, 2010
- Chile quake shortened our day, NASA says - Mar 03, 2010
- Chronology of world's major quakes since 1900 - Mar 11, 2011
- 30 aftershocks cause panic in Mexico, toll reaches two (Second Lead) - Apr 06, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits western Mexico (Lead) - Apr 05, 2010
Tags: 4th of april, baja california, california city, earth quake, earth quakes, gina gomez, length of a day, magnitude earthquake, massive earthquake, microseconds, month of april, nasa, pivotal role, powerful earthquake, powerful quake, radar images, shocks, slew, substantial damage, us mexico border