70-year-old Brit Sikh fends off knife wielding robber with iron barJanuary 30th, 2009 - 4:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan.30 (ANI): A 70-year-old Brit Sikh shop worker successfully fended off a knife-wielding robber by hitting him over the head with an iron bar. Harbhajan Singh was working behind the till of the Costcutter store when the attacker Deryk Traylen ran into the shop. Traylen, 35, locked the shop door then went up to the post office counter and demanded money from his son-in-law by pointing a gun at his face.
According to The Telegraph, Singh, a grandfather, showed no fear despite being locked in the shop. He grabbed an iron bar from behind the shop counter, then crept up behind the robber and hit him on the hand to disarm him.
“I didn”t have any fear, my daughter and family were in trouble and I had to protect them,” said Singh, who has been nicknamed the Turbanator for his heroics,
“My aim was to disarm him so I hit him on the hand to make him drop the gun, but he came back with a knife, so I hit him on the head,” he added.
Singh’’s daughter and son-in-law then stopped the man escaping while they waited for the police.
“Dad was a bit shaken afterwards. We are all very proud of him,” said his 41-year-old daughter Hardeep Kaur. (ANI)
- Civil war enthusiast Alf Thompson uses his skills to disarm robber - Aug 07, 2012
- Shop worker chases robber from British shop - May 25, 2010
- Woman detains man armed with model gun - Nov 21, 2011
- Jeweller's house looted at gunpoint - Nov 30, 2011
- Shopkeeper in Britain prevents robbery with stick - Apr 09, 2012
- Robber held after returning to shop for his coat! - Sep 16, 2011
- Two elderly women stabbed to death in Delhi (lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Jewellery shop burgled in Tamil Nadu town - Feb 22, 2012
- Man robs gold shop with fake gun - Sep 30, 2011
- Katie Medley survives theatre shooting and then gives birth to a baby boy - Jul 24, 2012
- Delhi trader shot at, critically injured - Feb 16, 2011
- Six robbers lynched in Bangladesh - Jul 27, 2011
- China vows crackdown over Xinjiang attacks - Aug 02, 2011
- Serial bank robber William Easley turns himself in to the police - Oct 20, 2010
- West Delhi area rocked by four robberies in 90 minutes - Jan 10, 2011