7-magnitude quake rocks Myanmar (Lead)March 25th, 2011 - 12:49 am ICT by IANS
Yangon, March 24 (IANS) An earthquake measuring 7.0 on the Richter scale jolted northeastern Myanmar Thursday night, but there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties, Xinhua reported.
The quake occurred around 20.30 p.m. (1400 GMT), Myanmar’s meteorology and hydrology department said. It struck 56 km east of Kengtung in the Shan state. The epicentre was at a depth of 10 km.
The US Geological Survey has put the intensity of the quake at 6.8 on the Richter scale. The tremor was also felt in Thai capital Bangkok.
According to Thai media reports, a woman was killed in Thailand’s northern province of Chiang Rai when a wall collapsed in the quake.
- Over 25 dead as 6.8-magnitude quake strikes Myanmar - Mar 25, 2011
- 6.8-magnitude quake strikes north east Myanmar - Mar 24, 2011
- Quake jolts India-Myanmar border - Jul 15, 2012
- Powerful earthquake rocks Myanmar, deaths reported - Mar 25, 2011
- At least 11 dead after powerful earthquake rocks Myanmar, surrounding countries - Mar 25, 2011
- Myanmar/Thailand shaken by a 7.0 magnitude earthquake - Mar 24, 2011
- Powerful earthquake rocks eastern Greenland - Aug 30, 2012
- Tsunami alert issued after 7.4-magnitude quake rattles Japan (Lead) - Apr 07, 2011
- 5.9-magnitude quake hits Fiji region - Mar 27, 2011
- 6.1-magnitude quake hits Japan - Oct 21, 2011
- Strong quake hits Japan - Mar 27, 2012
- Death toll rises to 42 after quake rocks Myanmar, neighboring countries - Mar 25, 2011
- 5.9-magnitude quake hits Mariana Islands - Aug 15, 2010
- Quake hits Indonesia - Jun 23, 2012
- Strong quake hits Norwegian Sea: USGS - May 25, 2012
Tags: casualties, chiang rai, earthquake, epicentre, gmt, hydrology, intensity, magnitude quake, meteorology, northern province, quake rocks, richter scale, shan state, thai capital bangkok, thai media, Thailand, thursday night, tremor, us geological survey, xinhua