6.8 magnitude quake jolts Japan (Lead)March 14th, 2012 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, March 14 (IANS) An earthquake measuring 6.8 on the Richter scale Wednesday hit Japan off the east coast of Honshu island, triggering a tsunami alert.
The temblor came three days after the first anniversary of the magnitude-9 earthquake and tsunami that killed thousands in the country, leading to the world’s worst nuclear crisis.
According to the Japan Meteorological Agency, Wednesday’s quake hits off Honshu’s east coast at 6.09 p.m.
A tsunami warning was sounded in the coastal areas of Aomori and Iwate prefectures, Xinhua reported. There was no report of damage or casualties.
On March 11, Japan marked the first anniversary of the devastating quake and ensuing tsunami that struck the northeastern coast.
The twin natural disasters claimed more than 15,800 lives, and more than 3,000 people remain missing.
The quake triggered a serious accident at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.
- Tsunami warning issued after quake hits Japan (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 10, 2011
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- 6.4 Earthquake hits off Japan's east coast - Jun 18, 2012
- Hundreds of bodies found after massive quake in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong quake hits Japan (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- 8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Earthquake hits Japan - Mar 01, 2012
- Magnitude 6.5 quake hits off coast of Japan, tsunami warning issued (Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Hundreds dead as devastating quake, tsunami hit Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- Strong quake jolts northeast Japan, tsunami warning lifted (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Moderate quake hits Japan - Apr 02, 2012
- Earthquake hits Japan - Mar 14, 2010
- Several strong quakes rocks northeastern Japan - Mar 23, 2011
- Japan issues tsunami alter after 6.8-magnitude quake - Aug 19, 2011
- Japan faces fears of n-radiation, more quakes (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
Tags: aomori, coastal areas, fukushima, honshu island, iwate, japan meteorological agency, magnitude 9 earthquake, magnitude quake, natural disasters, northeastern coast, nuclear crisis, nuclear plant, prefectures, quake hits, quake jolts, richter scale, temblor, tokyo march, tsunami warning, xinhua