US swimmer Torres attempts for fifth Olympics at age 41July 3rd, 2008 - 1:17 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, July 3 (DPA) American swimmer Dara Torres’ attempt to make it to the Olympic team begins Thursday. If the 41-year-old mother of one succeeds, she will become the first American swimmer to compete in five Olympics. On Thursday, Torres is to swim in the 100-metre freestyle preliminaries and semifinals.
Over the weekend, she will compete in the 50-metre freestyle event, which will be her best chance of becoming the oldest female swimming qualifier in Olympic history, according to a report in Dallas Morning News.
This will also be Torres’ second comeback. She competed in the 2000 Olympics after a seven-year retirement, and won five medals. She became a mother in April 2006, and then started planning another comeback.
“Everyone says I should be used to this. But I feel like I’m 16, getting ready for my first trials,” the report quoted Torres as saying. “I’m nervous. I’m excited. I can’t wait to stand up and compete.”
- Comeback Evans fails to qualify at US swimming trials - Jul 01, 2012
- Swimmer Thorpe claims he can perform faster than before - Mar 30, 2011
- Two Pakistani swimmers allowed to compete in Olympics - Jun 09, 2012
- Rebecca Adlington seeks gold on her CWG debut - Oct 02, 2010
- Hoogenband says 'special athlete' Thorpe can win another gold in London - Feb 08, 2011
- Thorpe's Olympics bid fails at Australian trials - Mar 18, 2012
- Olympics: Dana Vollmer sets world record in women's 100m butterfly - Jul 30, 2012
- France's Muffat grabs 400m freestyle gold - Jul 30, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Lithuania bags historic gold in swimming - Jul 31, 2012
- IOC 'sad' at dope suspicion over Chinese swimmer - Jul 31, 2012
- Dara Torres - Still a swimming champion at 41 - Apr 08, 2009
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Swimmer Ann Curtis dies - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: 2000 olympics, american swimmer, attempts, dallas morning news, dara torres, dpa, fifth olympics, medals, metre freestyle, old mother, olympic history, olympic team, olympics, preliminaries, retirement, swimmer torres