67 Pakistanis were detained at Guantanamo: MinisterMarch 13th, 2009 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 13 (IANS) Sixty-seven Pakistanis were detained at Cuba’s Guantanamo Bay prison managed by Central Intelligence Agency of the US following the 9/11 terror attack, a minister has informed the National Assembly.
According to a written reply submitted to the lower house of the parliament Thursday, 67 Pakistanis were taken to the Guantanamo Bay prison facility. However, as a result of the government’s efforts, so far, 62 of them had been released, Dawn News reported.
Foreign Minister Makhdoom Shah Mehmood Qureshi provided the information in response to a question asked by Tariq Mehmood Bajwa, a member of the National Assembly.
“Following the 9/11 terror strike, scores of Pakistanis were picked up by the law enforcement agencies and handed over to the US authorities and 67 of them ended up at the Guantanamo Bay,” the report said.
US President Barack Obama has ordered the closure of the Guantanamo Bay detention camp within a year.
Former president General Pervez Musharraf in his memoir “In the Line of Fire” had accepted that the Pakistani government had earned millions of rupees as bounty after handing over alleged terrorists to the US officials.
- Qureshi says 67 Pakistanis were held at Guantanamo Bay - Mar 13, 2009
- US to release five Taliban from Guantanamo? - Apr 01, 2012
- 9/11 suspects to be arraigned May 5: Pentagon - Apr 10, 2012
- No 9/11 accused has gone to the gallows - Sep 10, 2011
- Tropical storm forces delay of 9/11 trial - Aug 24, 2012
- Guantanamo Bay prisoner commits suicide - May 20, 2011
- Murdered Daniel Pearl's dad says 9/11 mosque should be built elsewhere - Aug 27, 2010
- Pakistan's opposition fumes over missing people - Mar 09, 2012
- US turns down Pak Govt's offer to trade terror-suspect Aafia for CIA contractor Davis - Mar 01, 2011
- 9/11 attack mastermind on trial in Guantanamo - May 06, 2012
- 9/11 Pakistani mastermind, 4 others sent for trial - Apr 05, 2012
- Al Qaeda's 9/11 mastermind killed Daniel Pearl: Report - Jan 20, 2011
- Pak wishes to see Mumbai terror attack culprits punished: Qureshi - Nov 27, 2010
- US reiterates commitment to Guantanamo prison closure - Apr 26, 2011
- Osama and Zawahiri to be kept at Guantanamo if captured: CIA - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: barack obama, central intelligence agency, dawn news, detention camp, foreign minister, former president, general pervez musharraf, guantanamo bay prison, law enforcement agencies, line of fire, mehmood, national assembly, pakistani government, pakistanis, pervez musharraf, president general pervez musharraf, prison facility, qureshi, rupees, terror attack