66pc Brits auction their Christmas gifts on InternetDecember 27th, 2010 - 4:27 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 27 (ANI): What would you do if you were gifted something you do not want? Well, according to more than two-thirds of Britons, auctioning them off on Internet sites in return for cash is what they would do.
The number of Britons attempting to ‘Sell Unwanted Rubbish For’ cash increases on December 27, which has been dubbed as Surf day, and most will be advertising their Christmas gifts on auction sites such as eBay.
And a survey conducted by the Co-op Bank on 3,000 people has found that nearly half of those who plan to sell unwanted presents online will have got rid of them before New Year’s Day.
“While it’s not traditionally considered polite to get rid of presents from friends and family, this way people will make back some of the money they will have spent over the season and give their finances a kick-start for January,” the Daily Express quoted John Hughes, of the Co-op Bank, as saying.
Many of them will need the extra cash, as the survey found 40 percent of people would now be in debt after spending on gifts and celebrations. The average post-Christmas debt is 262 pounds. (ANI)
- Nearly PS2 B wasted on unwanted Christmas gifts - Dec 26, 2008
- Kim Kardashian obsessed with eBay - Nov 19, 2009
- EBay Bans Spells and Potions - Aug 31, 2012
- Olympic Torch sold for over £150,000 on the auction site eBay - May 22, 2012
- Now bid for Bieber's locks on eBay - Feb 26, 2011
- Cash-splurging Brits 'the most romantic Europeans' - Feb 14, 2011
- Briton gives 50-pound notes to public as Christmas gift - Dec 29, 2011
- Kiwi women 'spend and stress more over Christmas gifts' - Dec 11, 2010
- Glowing times for online jewellery retailers - Apr 06, 2012
- eBay communities make participants better buyers and sellers: Study - Dec 18, 2010
- Specialised online stores hottest e-commerce start-ups: Survey - Jan 30, 2011
- Stolen car found 42 years later eBay - Jul 13, 2012
- Why today is the happiest day of the year - Jan 31, 2011
- Mail Carrier Sells Discount Coupons On eBay Illegally, Gets Caught - Jan 29, 2011
- Brit supermarket worker sacked for drinking Lady Grey instead of store brand - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: auction sites, britons, celebrations, christmas, christmas debt, christmas gifts, co op bank, daily express, ebay, extra cash, friends and family, internet london, internet sites, john hughes, kick start, money, new year, rubbish, two thirds