6.5 magnitude quake rocks northeastern Japan, tsunami warning liftedMarch 28th, 2011 - 11:52 am ICT by ANI
Tokyo, Mar 28 (ANI): A strong earthquake measuring 6.5 magnitude has rocked the Miyagi Prefecture and its vicinity in the north-eastern parts of Japan this morning.
Following the quake at about 7:24 a.m. local time, the Japan Meteorological Agency had issued a tsunami warning for the Pacific coast of the Prefecture, but lifted it at 9:05 am, the Kyodo news agency reports.
The quake measured less than 5 on the Japanese seismic intensity scale of 7 in central Miyagi Prefecture, and 4 in several locations in Iwate, Miyagi, Yamagata and Fukushima prefectures, the agency said.
There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage till the reports last came in.
The epicentre of the quake was 80 kilometers east of Oshika Peninsula in Miyagi Prefecture, the agency said. (ANI)
- Strong quake jolts northeast Japan, tsunami warning lifted (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Japan seabed shifted 24 metres after March 11 earthquake - Apr 07, 2011
- Tsunami warning issued after quake hits Japan (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 10, 2011
- Hundreds dead as devastating quake, tsunami hit Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- 8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- Several strong quakes rocks northeastern Japan - Mar 23, 2011
- Strong quake hits Japan - Mar 27, 2012
- Japan quake toll rises to 61 - Mar 11, 2011
- Magnitude-7 quake hits Japan (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Most March 11 Japan disaster victims aged above 65: Data - Apr 18, 2011
- Powerful quake strikes off northeastern Japan, tsunami warning issued - Apr 07, 2011
- Magnitude 6.5 quake hits off coast of Japan, tsunami warning issued (Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Japan issues tsunami alert after 7.4-magnitude quake (Second Lead) - Apr 07, 2011
- Tsunami alert issued after 7.4-magnitude quake rattles Japan (Lead) - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: earthquake, epicentre, fukushima, intensity scale, iwate, japan meteorological agency, japan tsunami warning, kilometers, kyodo news agency, local time, magnitude quake, miyagi prefecture, northeastern japan, pacific coast, peninsula, prefectures, quake rocks, seismic intensity, vicinity, yamagata