Colombia willing to negotiate hostage release: PresidentJune 23rd, 2008 - 2:18 pm ICT by IANS
Bogota, June 23 (IANS) Colombian President Alvaro Uribe has reiterated his willingness to strike an humanitarian accord with the country’s leftist insurgents for release of hostages, Spain’s EFE news agency reported Monday. Uribe’s statement came after the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) delivered a video Saturday as a proof of life of legislator Sigifredo Lopez, the only surviving member of a group of 12 politicians kidnapped in 2002.
Lopez said in his message that “the political show that any meeting between the FARC and the government inevitably will create (is preferable) to the spilling of blood that misunderstanding (between them) will cause.”
Eleven others kidnapped along with Lopez were slain during a raid on the rebel camp in 2007 by a paramilitary group.
The Colombian president, however, insisted that the talks for the release of the hostages are to be carried out by the Catholic Church, and the three European countries - France, Spain and Switzerland.
Late last year, Uribe stopped mediation efforts by leftist legislator Piedad Cordoba and Venezuela’s leftist president Hugo Chavez saying that Chavez had overstepped his brief when he directly spoke to Colombian army chief.
The guerrilla group is holding 40 high-value hostages it deems “exchangeable” for as many as 500 jailed rebels. The most prominent among the hostages are former presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt and three US military contractors.
- Colombia's FARC frees 10 captives - Apr 03, 2012
- Colombia rebels appear to soften terms for prisoner swap - Feb 10, 2009
- Colombia's FARC rebels release four hostages - Feb 02, 2009
- Colombian rebels release another politician hostage - Feb 06, 2009
- Colombian rebels to free six hostages - Jan 31, 2009
- Colombian guerrilla who guarded Betancourt surrenders - Sep 15, 2009
- Colombian rebels kill 12 soldiers - May 22, 2012
- Colombian rebels confusing people, says President Uribe - Feb 08, 2009
- Colombian rebels to release long-held captive - Apr 17, 2009
- Colombian rebels free last foreign hostage - Mar 19, 2009
- FARC rebels promise to release six hostages - Dec 22, 2008
- Colombian rebel forces release video of hostages, one of them kidnapped over 12 years ago - Jun 08, 2010
- No grudges at talks with Colombian government: FARC - Sep 04, 2012
- FARC guerrilla wanted by US captured in Colombia - Nov 02, 2009
- 12 rebels die in Colombian air strike - Jul 07, 2010
Tags: army chief, betancourt, colombian army, colombian president alvaro uribe, efe news agency, farc, guerrilla group, hostage release, hugo chavez, legislator, mediation efforts, military contractors, paramilitary group, president alvaro uribe, president hugo chavez, proof of life, rebel camp, release of hostages, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc