63 killed in Iraq violence (Lead)December 22nd, 2011 - 4:31 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Dec 22 (IANS) At least 63 people were killed and some 185 were wounded in a spate of bomb attacks across Iraqi capital Baghdad Thursday morning, an interior ministry source said.
“Our latest reports put the toll at 63 killed and 185 wounded in a series of bomb attacks in Baghdad,” Xinhua reported the source as saying on condition of anonymity.
Four car bombs ripped through Baghdad in addition to 10 roadside bombs and a rocket barrage that struck the city during the morning rush hour.
The attacks struck the districts of Alawi, Karradah, Bab al- Muadham in central Baghdad, Shaab, Shulla, Adhamiyah in the north, Baiyaa, Amil, Amin, Doura, Abu Dsheer in southern Baghdad, Yarmouk, Harthiyah and Ghazaliah in the west.
Thursday’s incidents were a first major indication of escalation of violence in the country after US troops’ withdrawal from the country. The last batch of US combat forces in Iraq crossed into neighbouring Kuwait on Sunday (Dec 18).
An Iraqi health ministry official earlier said that the attacks killed 57 people and wounded 176.
Iraqi security forces blocked many main roads in the capital and dozens of police and army vehicles were deployed across the city, as sounds of sirens of ambulances and fire engines could be heard across the capital.
- 27 killed in Iraq bomb attacks - Dec 22, 2011
- Coordinated terrorist attacks across Baghdad kill 74, injure more than 300 - Nov 03, 2010
- Car bomb kills 10, wounds 38 in Iraqi city of Karbala - Nov 08, 2010
- 20 killed, 64 wounded in attacks in Baghdad - Feb 23, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- Car bomb attack kills nine in Baghdad - May 04, 2011
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Seven killed in Iraq violence - Aug 08, 2012
- 12 killed in Baghdad bombings - Jul 31, 2012
- Nine killed in Iraq attacks - Apr 19, 2012
- 13 killed, 74 injured in series of blasts in Baghdad - May 22, 2011
- Over 40 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- 50 killed, hundreds injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- 63 killed in Iraq as violence escalates - Aug 15, 2011
Tags: amil, army vehicles, bomb attacks, car bombs, central baghdad, doura, escalation of violence, fire engines, interior ministry, iraqi capital, iraqi health ministry, iraqi security, main roads, ministry official, ministry source, morning rush hour, neighbouring kuwait, roadside bombs, xinhua, yarmouk