63 killed in Iraq as violence escalatesAugust 15th, 2011 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Aug 15 (IANS) At least 63 people were killed and over 260 injured in a series of bomb attacks across Iraq Monday.
The attacks occurred in seven provinces of central and northern Iraq in a new escalation of violence in the country several months ahead of the proposed departure of US troops, Xinhua reported.
The deadliest attack occurred in Kut city, some 170 km southeast of capital Baghdad, when a roadside bomb was detonated at a marketplace and was followed by a car bomb explosion, killing up to 34 people and wounding 64 others, a source from the provincial operations command said.
In another deadly attack, in the Iraqi city of Tikrit, north of Baghdad, two suicide bombers entered the provincial counter-terrorism headquarters to free Al Qaeda militants detained in the headquarters’ jail.
The security forces identified the suicide bombers and traded fire with them, killing one while the other blew up his explosive vest. The attack resulted in the killing of three people.
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Nine killed in Iraq attacks - Apr 19, 2012
- Suicide car bomb in Iraq kills three securitymen - Jun 06, 2011
- 12 killed in Baghdad bombings - Jul 31, 2012
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Suicide bomber kills 45, injuries 150 at Iraqi recruiting center - Jan 18, 2011
- Anti-terror official killed in Iraq blast - Sep 07, 2012
- 10 killed in Iraq bombing - Nov 03, 2011
- Seven die in Iraq bomb attack - May 22, 2011
- 10 killed, 30 injured in Iraq twin terror attack - Jul 28, 2011
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- 27 killed in Iraq bomb attacks - Dec 22, 2011
- Suicide bomber kills 53 in Iraq - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: al qaeda, baghdad, bomb attacks, car bomb explosion, counter terrorism, escalates, escalation of violence, iraqi city, marketplace, northern iraq, operations command, roadside bomb, suicide bombers, tikrit, vest, xinhua