63 killed in Baghdad mosque blasts (Third Lead)April 23rd, 2010 - 10:07 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, April 23 (DPA) At least 63 people were killed in a series of blasts targeting Shia mosques in Baghdad Friday, security and hospital sources said.
Officials said 180 people were injured in the blasts.
Most of the blasts took place near Shia mosques where people had gathered for Friday weekly prayers.
Influential Shia cleric Muqtada al-Sadr declared an official mourning period of three days, and called on Iraqis to help in transporting the injured victims to hospitals.
At least 35 people were killed and 70 injured in two blasts in al-Sadr city, police sources said. A car bomb went off targeting people praying, while a suicide bomb attack targeted people in a market.
Two car bombs also detonated in the al-Horriya and al-Rahmaniya areas, while another bomb targeted the Hussayneyet al-Sadrein mosque in al-Zaafaraneya.
Another explosive device went off inside a shopping mall in the al-Dora area, and a suicide bombing also occurred near a mosque in the al-Amin area.
The seven Baghdad bombings came hours after seven bombs shook the mainly Sunni town of al-Khalidiya, 80 km west of the capital, killing eight people, including seven from one family, and injuring 10.
The bombs went off next to the houses of two businessmen, a judge and police patrols in al-Khalidiya.
One of the blasts killed a businessman, his wife and their five children, security sources said. A police officer was also killed after another bomb exploded when he arrived at the scene.
Iraqi observers believe the bombing series could be an act of revenge by Al Qaeda terrorists, after Iraqi and US forces killed several of the terror network’s leaders over the past few weeks.
- At least 35 killed, 80 injured in Baghdad blasts (Lead) - Apr 23, 2010
- Baghdad mosque blasts toll rises to 54 (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2010
- At least 14 killed, 23 injured in blasts in Baghdad - Apr 23, 2010
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- 10 killed in Baghdad bombings - Jan 05, 2012
- Two killed, 11 injured in Iraq blasts - Apr 26, 2012
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Car bomb kills 10, wounds 38 in Iraqi city of Karbala - Nov 08, 2010
- 50 killed, hundreds injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Over 40 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Four killed in Iraq bomb blasts - Aug 12, 2011
- Seven killed, 33 injured in three blasts in Iraq (Lead) - Sep 05, 2010
- 31 killed in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Eight killed, 33 hurt in Iraq attacks (Night Lead) - Sep 06, 2010
- Iraq mosque bombings undermine stability: UN chief - Aug 01, 2009
Tags: act of revenge, al amin, baghdad bombings, blasts, car bomb, car bombs, city police, cleric, explosive device, hospital sources, mosque, mosques in baghdad, mourning period, muqtada al sadr, police patrols, police sources, sadr city, security sources, suicide bomb attack, terror network