600 Chinese held in child trafficking racketDecember 7th, 2011 - 10:57 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Dec 7 (IANS) A total of 608 suspects have been arrested and 178 children rescued after two “seriously harmful” child trafficking gangs were busted in China, the government said.
The ministry of public security said police launched an operation Nov 30 against the gangs in 10 regions, Xinhua reported.
Police in Sichuan province found out that a group sold 26 children to other regions, while police in Fujian found that children were being sold to the province by a criminal group whose trafficking businesses expanded to multiple regions.
The two cases drew the attention of the ministry, with vice minister Zhang Xinfeng acting as commander-in-chief of a special investigation team.
Around 5,000 police officers in the 10 regions launched a joint operation Nov 30 and arrested the suspects.
The ministry said all rescued children have been put under the care of female police officers, and arrangements are being made for them in nursing homes before finding their parents.
Official figures show that police across the country have broken 7,025 human trafficking groups since a special campaign started in April 2009, with 18,518 children and 34,813 women rescued.
- Chinese child-trafficking ring busted - Jul 06, 2012
- China busts child-abduction racket, rescues 22 kids - May 12, 2011
- Two get death penalty for selling 46 infants - Sep 28, 2010
- China busts gun trafficking ring - Oct 20, 2011
- Over 15,000 Chinese women, 8,000 kids rescued in 2011 - Mar 10, 2012
- 22 Chinese women rescued from forced prostitution - Aug 14, 2011
- Chinese police bust trafficking rings, rescue 89 infants - Jul 27, 2011
- 14 Chinese kids rescued from human traffickers - Mar 11, 2012
- Doctor selling Vietnam kids to Chinese families - Aug 01, 2011
- China arrests 2,200 in crackdown on organied gangs - Sep 16, 2011
- More foreign women being trafficked to China - Dec 05, 2011
- 36,000 trafficked women, kids rescued in China - Apr 01, 2011
- 31 abducted infants rescued in China - Jun 01, 2012
- 15 Chinese women rescued from Democratic Republic of Congo - Dec 02, 2010
- Chinese man jailed for selling his three children - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: beijing, child trafficking, china, commander in chief, criminal group, female police officers, fujian, gangs, human trafficking, investigation team, nursing homes, parents, public security, sichuan province, vice minister, xinhua