6 killed in Turkey clashJune 22nd, 2010 - 10:30 am ICT by IANS
Istanbul, June 22 (DPA) The latest skirmish Monday between the Turkish military and Kurdish rebels in southeastern Turkey left six people dead, the Turkish news agency Anadolu reported.
Fighters from the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) reportedly attacked a military outpost in Silvan, killing one soldier. Five rebels died in the battle.
The incident follows similar rebel attacks that left 12 Turkish troops dead over the weekend in the restive Kurdish region along the Iraqi and Syrian borders. Twelve rebels reportedly died in the weekend fighting.
Turkish media reported that the military is helicoptering in reinforcements to the mountainous south-eastern provinces.
The European Union considers the PKK a terrorist organisation.
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Kurdish militants attack Turkish convoy, kill 7 soldiers - Sep 19, 2012
- 17 dead in Turkey clash - Jul 01, 2010
- Turkish jets bomb targets in northern Iraq - Jun 21, 2010
- Turkish army holds drills on Syria border - Aug 02, 2012
- 30 Syrian army men defect to Turkey - Jun 25, 2012
- Blast in Istanbul leaves at least 15 injured - Oct 31, 2010
- 7 'terrorists' killed in clash in Turkey: report - Apr 01, 2011
- Four killed in Turkish military helicopter crash - Jul 23, 2012
- 5 Turkish soldiers killed in terrorist attack - Dec 07, 2009
- Terror attack foiled in Turkey - Jul 08, 2012
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- Eight Kurdish rebels killed in Turkey - Sep 14, 2009
- Turkey closes borders with Syria - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: anadolu, borders, clash, eastern provinces, istanbul, kurdish rebels, kurdish region, kurdistan, kurdistan workers party, military outpost, pkk, rebel attacks, reinforcements, skirmish, soldier five, southeastern turkey, terrorist organisation, turkish media, turkish news agency, turkish troops