5m amethyst python gobbles down 35kg goat!February 25th, 2010 - 6:10 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Feb 25 (ANI): A famished 5m amethyst python in far north Queensland is said to have devoured a 35kg goat, horns and all.
The goat had been missing from the Kuranda property bordering rainforest for three weeks when its owner stumbled on the enormous reptile, with a suspiciously large bump in its stomach.
According to the Cairns Post, the python had swallowed the pet goat and spent the next three days digesting its meal before it disappeared.
Neighbour Yuri Hagedorn kept a careful watch over the reptile and even put a corrugated iron shelter over it, saying that the snake had been a regular visitor to the street.
“This particular python, I think because it’s territorial, has been in the area for quite a while,” the Daily Telegraph quoted him as saying.
“It eats mainly wallabies, and wallabies are as big as a goat,” he said.
Surviving goats from the woman’s yard have since been donated to Kuranda’s Uncle Pete’s Petting Zoo.
Queensland Museum reptile curator Patrick Couper said amethyst pythons, also known as scrub pythons, were not shy about eating large prey.
“Large amethyst pythons will certainly eat tree kangaroos, they’ll certainly eat wallabies,” Couper said.
“I’ve often seen photographs of large amethystines with bulky items in their gut like that.
“I believe they also take roadkill,” he added.
Stuart Douglas, from the Australian Venom Zoo, said scrub pythons were known to eat pets at Kuranda. (ANI)
- 5.5m python lifts Oz man trying to capture it off the ground! - Sep 23, 2009
- Two people arrested for snake wrestling in the parking lot of McDonalds - Sep 09, 2010
- McDonalds snake wrestling incident leads to the arrest of 2 men - Sep 10, 2010
- The world's longest snake - Fluffy dies - Oct 28, 2010
- Monster python caught with 20kg goat in stomach in Malaysia - Jan 07, 2010
- Danish woman finds python in compost heap - Jul 23, 2010
- Delhi zoo looks at better upkeep - with its own revenue - Feb 10, 2012
- Python in car stuns British holidaying couple - Sep 07, 2012
- Snake stolen from Mumbai zoo - May 29, 2011
- Jonathan McGowan lives off roadkill for the last 30 years - Oct 18, 2011
- 15-feet python creates a flutter in Rajasthan village - Sep 07, 2010
- Paltrow to turn home into zoo! - May 03, 2010
- Huge pet crocodile seized in Mexico - Feb 10, 2012
- Oz granddad's shock over pic of granddaughter wrapped by snake - May 28, 2010
- British family shares home with 80 animals - Nov 27, 2010
Tags: amethyst python, cairns post, corrugated iron, daily telegraph, famished, far north queensland, goat horns, hagedorn, neighbour, pet goat, petting zoo, pythons, queensland museum, reptile, roadkill, s yard, tree kangaroos, venom, yuri, zoo queensland